1 Turkey 2 Breast - Will It Fit In My WSM ?

Ryan.M

Hey All,

I have 1 18 Inch WSM.

I have done 2 8 LB Turkey Breast on the top rack before and they turned out great. But i have never done an entire Turkey.

I saw a whole Turkey Bone-In instructions, but i have a capacity question.

Can i do 1 15lb Turkey Bone-In with 2 8lb Turkey Breast Bone-In at once in my 18 Inch WSM?

If so do i need to adjust anything from the Turkey Bone-In Receipe , i.e. Time/ Charcoal/Breast on top or bottom rack, etc.....

Any advice is greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Hey Ryan,

I would think you should be able to get that without too much trouble. Probably the 2 breasts side by side and the whole bird by itself. I have an 18.5 in as well. I've never tried doing the 2 breasts on the same rack, but I would think it would fit. Do you have the birds already? Can you take them out there still in the packaging and check?

Thats a good idea, i may do. I should verify that it will all fit first.

I am more worried about if i have increase the temp because the WSM will be really full, does it need more charcoal, longer cook time,......?

I'll defer to somebody else on that one. I've only cooked 1 butt on my WSM and smoked 2 turkeys on an old horizontal smoker. I would think it might cool you down a little bit though. I wouldn't think it would be anything super drastic, but again, I don't have a ton of experience.

It will probably take a bit longer for the WSM to recover after you add all that cold meat, and it might use a little more fuel as a result, but it shouldn't be a drastic difference.

Also, it would probably be better to put the breasts on the upper grate with some foil under them (to prevent drippings from messing with the presentation of the full bird). They will almost definitely be done first and it'll be easier to get them out if you don't have to move the whole bird out of the way.

Back