1 inch ribeyes

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
Getting ready for my first steak cook. Using indirect about 225 hopefully until I’m guessing 110 or so then right over top the hottest I can be those Coals in the following 5 minutes or so. Also using the Weber sear grate, not sure how long it takes to get hot, I’m hoping 5 minutes.lol. Not sure I think you were asking about the sear grate Christopher?

Had 1 inch ribeyes tonight went indirect. The rest of the food was cooking to fast so I had to turn up the heat on the indirect. The sear grate I feel didn’t get hot enough, I didn’t get those marks like on you tube, I wasn’t ready for it fast enough but it did turn out to be delicious. Next time I’m using the vortex on low heat then prepping a hot chimney for the sear. Give me another chance as I feel I can nail it next time. As far as this time I feel like the SNS would have done the same job. I will be sure to let you know next time I am more prepared for this chit. I wanted mine way more rare than this medium outcome.

Attachments

• FFE119B8-DB63-4D0F-8048-85FE90DC6805.jpeg
    FFE119B8-DB63-4D0F-8048-85FE90DC6805.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 14
  • FDE3ECC0-6804-41DF-9B1E-6CDBE5BC18A5.jpeg
    FDE3ECC0-6804-41DF-9B1E-6CDBE5BC18A5.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 14
Looks great, Darryl! I've used my cast iron insert grate in this manner before, and I find that you really need to heat soak it for at least 10 minutes so that it can give you those really nice grill marks. I wouldn't hesitate to tuck into your steak, cooked perfectly!

Rich

Thanks for the compliments, I do like a very rare steak and this was medium but still lots of juice and flavour. I’m gonna kill it next time 100%. Those oven fries cooked faster than I was ready for, mushrooms and everything. I just need that grate to be hot as I get the propane I used to use like 700 degrees.

And thus we see the challenge of charcoal. I nail my ribeyes when camping on a fire and then coals but we build a coal bed for a couple hours until the devil comes out to play. On my gas Summit it is literally 2-3 minutes per side (45s to 1 min, turn 90 degrees, repeat, flip, repeat, repeat) and things are done. That’s why I use the gasser to do steak - love the sear zone at 800d.

I will have to try charcoal though eventually and will probably use the slow n sear or even my WSM with the grate 3” over the coals at the bottom. My worry is when it is windy I will get ashes all over the food.

What charcoal did you use? Lump or briquettes?

Can’t believe I missed the title saying “ribeyes”.

Yeah I like the way that looks for sure.
l know how hot it looks when I start it up.
I think I will use the vortex upside down next time
I didn't start a separate chimney with new red hot coals, I just tried to get the heat up hot with the coals I was using while reverse sear was happening at about 275....I knew it was a mistake but I also didn't leave myself enough time to get prepared. The rest of the food was nearing done and I was rushing a ton. I seen the mistakes and I know what to fix next time, I am even going to try the vortex upside down. Keep the heat barrier up better than it was with just baskets and ride out a nice 225. Then have the red hot chimney ready to go 10 minutes before the sear.
Thanks for the input.

And thus we see the challenge of charcoal. I nail my ribeyes when camping on a fire and then coals but we build a coal bed for a couple hours until the devil comes out to play. On my gas Summit it is literally 2-3 minutes per side (45s to 1 min, turn 90 degrees, repeat, flip, repeat, repeat) and things are done. That’s why I use the gasser to do steak - love the sear zone at 800d.

I will have to try charcoal though eventually and will probably use the slow n sear or even my WSM with the grate 3” over the coals at the bottom. My worry is when it is windy I will get ashes all over the food.

What charcoal did you use? Lump or briquettes?

Can’t believe I missed the title saying “ribeyes”.
yeah gasser bbq is something that works out well every time here too. Same method for grill marks and everything. I did a few 8oz. strips on the smokey joe however........they cook pretty fast being so small but the flavour was insane good. This is what made me decide to get the sear grate right away....that and I watched a few you tube vids and the food coming off looked very nice. LOL I was wondering why you asked what kind of steaks they were.....boneless, you can see in the pic. I went with lump too, I just didn't prep myself for it. Needed a hot chimney for that 10 minutes before I was ready, I still have to get cooking with propane out of my head. I have only been using the smokey joe for about 4 months and then now my kettle for about 10 days.......Im going to use my own new recipe here real soon. Not that I have one but I'm going to wing it as I have made this before, I will post a new thread for it as some of you may want to try it out. I do Chicago Deep Dish pizza, it works well with a spring pan in the oven but on this grill I think I will have to use method number 2 which works out as good or better in a cast iron pan. I have a nice big one, just need to see where it fits based on charcoal in the middle or against one end of the kettle. Maybe this is already a thing here?

Back