“Shrinking” a 22”?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
As mentioned in another thread, I just picked up a used 22”. When I used to have both a 22” and an 18, the 18” was my go-to smoker, and the 22” was to load up for parties.
The big issue with the 22” was that I couldn’t get through a whole long cook with one load of charcoal. But I’m thinking there may be a way to shrink the 22” - perhaps by adding some bricks or a big, closed jug* of water - so that there’s not as much volume to heat?
Or perhaps the issue is heat loss from the extra surface area? Maybe wrap some kind of thermal blanket?

Adding any object or water pan is going to absorb the heat, thus defeating your purpose.
What brand /type of charcoal are you using? This can make all the difference. For example, I like Kingsford original briquettes but find that they burn fast. In comparison, Cowboy briquets burn hotter and for a much longer duration. I’m sure others have their favorites for good reason.

Last edited:
Here's some good info on fire building/temperature management. Minion method is pretty reliable.

Even with the minion method, you will have to stir the coals or knock the ashes off every once in a while.

Charcoal preferences among forum members are all over the place, but I think KF competition or "professsional" is pretty good. Briqs are a little easier to work with vs lump. If you are using lump, make sure you break up the larger pieces. I always break anything much longer than 8" into two pieces so that the fire doesn't spread too fast.

Try to stick with name brand/well known charcoal if you can. Low quality charcoal is no fun to cook with.

Back