Covering the water pan

Thanks Chris.
I was definitely not thinking of closing it tight, more like covering with alu foil and making some holes in it.
Basically, the water would boil, some vapour will escape through the small holes and some will actually condensate against the foil and get back into the pan.
At least that's what I would be hoping for...
In your analogue, it would be something like boiling water in a kettle as opposed to a frying pan :cool:

I run the wsm wth very little hot coals to start off with and after a 6 or 7 hour cook I still got more than half of the coals left.
I'm quite sure that it's my ambient temperature that causes some of the issues. In the summer, the shade temperature is around 42-45 oC (somewhere around 110 F).
You don't really want to know the temperature in the full sun.....

Ann -

Do you think it is possible you have an unintended air leak somewhere. I'd think the most likely spot would be the side door. Despite the warm climate you live in it seems unusual that closing the vents doesn't provide more heat control. Despit the fact people suggest you leave the leave the lid vent shut, have you ever experimented with closing it a quarter to a half on hot summer days? Just a couple thoughts - best of luck.

Hi Thomas,
No, got no air leaks (when I close all the vents, the fire goes out and I am left with a lot of coals, which wouldn't happen with an air leak).
I can actually control the temperature pretty good, as long as I catch it on the up.
I use both top and bottom vents for control, starting with all of them open, then closing bottom ones where needed (never all of them fully) and if needs be I use the top vent.
We are now going into winter, so it's going to be interesting for me to operate the little machine :cool:

Ah, pictures,
I didn't go and see the falls. Seen them so many times that I skipped it this time.
Anyway,

This is not where I was staying....
A friend of mine works here.
eFmSr5Il.jpg

And this is not my boat:
8hQM5Y9l.jpg

But this is the Zambezi
(with the spray from the falls in the background)
gIcfpL6l.jpg

This is where I was staying
OsLQUo8l.jpg

Beautiful pictures of a gorgeous area, Anne !!!
Totally with you on the accommodations :) (ours are dome too..)

Awesome pictures, Anne!

Thanks for posting. :)

EDIT: You didn't see Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn go by did you?

Last edited:
As Chris explained, covering the water pan isn't going to make the water last longer. It's the physics of evaporation that allows the water pan to keep temperatures moderate. I think you could still use a dry pan even in your hot environment. I typically shut 2 of the 3 bottom vents completely when seeking lower temperatures.

If that doesn't appeal to you then you need to pursue Chris's external water supply idea. It's genius.

Back