Sauce for Harry Soo's Ribs ?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I'm doing Harry Soo's ribs today with his SYD all purpose rub (posted below with my mods for reference). Since the recipe calls for a mid cook layer of brown sugar and honey, I'm curious as to what you all may suggest for a sauce? Harry doesn't specify a sauce outside of "your favourite". I'm thinking about a modified No. 5 sauce with a little more acidic kick but am happy to go outside of the box (as long as I have it in the kitchen). All opinions are greatly appreciated.

SYD All Purpose Rub (makes about 1 cup)
4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White granulated sugar
2 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder (Used KKrugers Chili Powder recipe)
2 tbsp Paprika (Used Guajillo)
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper

Thanks,

JDH

James, after having tried many commercial sauces, I always come back to a modified #5. Main thing to me in making a glaze is to thin the sauce, with whatever liquid you like, until it just coats the back of your spoon. With ribs I generally glaze 2x. I have used water, chicken stock, white wine, pork stock etc to thin the sauce. Some folks like to add honey, lite corn surap, fruit jellies etc.

Lots of combos to try.

Let us know how it turns out.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I used the No. 5 Sauce with a little more vinegar, some apple juice, a little bit of lime zest and a few scrapes of ginger.
I get why Harry suggests that the cayenne should be to taste as it was mildly hot, which we liked. Next time I would cut the cayenne and add some heat with a later finish.

Overall, the brown sugar and honey did not have as much of an influence as I thought they would. Otherwise, I would call this one of my top ten favourites.

Has anyone tried this one - I got it a while back from bbq.about.com and our family really enjoys it - particularly with pulled pork:

"Best Ever Barbecue Sauce"
Ingredients:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
Preparation: In a saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Stir in ketchup, water, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, sugar, salt and cayenne. Reduce heat to a low simmer and continue cooking for 25 minutes.
http://bbq.about.com/od/barbec...cipes/r/bln40826.htm

Originally posted by Shaun H:
hmmmm...where do you guys get this #5 sauce? And is there a 1-4?

No. 5 Sauce

You will find lots of people modify this basic sauce to suit their own tastes. Find what you like and what works best for you.

Back