Chuck Roasts

Roger P

TVWBB Member
Hello all. I sure could use a little guidance from the experts here.

I've been doing ribs, butts and chicken on the WSM, all has been coming out great. Did 3 slabs of BB's yesterday using 3-2-1, and they were my best ribs yet.

I also had a small chuck roast (3lbs) that I threw on. I slathered it in mustard, rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning, and threw it on. Foiled it at 160, then I cooked it until I got readings of around 198 in more than one part of the meat. Took it off, let it rest for an hour. Unwrapped, expecting to be able to pull/shred/chop it like a pork butt.

What I had was a very over-cooked, tough piece of Chuck. Definitely not tender, not falling apart, and still a lot of fat pockets inside.

This was my 2nd attempt at Chuck roast, 1st was the same way, but I chalked it up to being in a hurry and not finishing to the proper temp.

I'm wondering if I'm not using the right cut of meat; both times, the Chuck "roast" looks more like a thick steak than a "roast".

Any ideas?

This roast cooked on the bottom rack of the WSM, temps ran around 245 @ the lid for the majority of the cook. I used a Maverick probe in the meat.

Help! I want beef bbq!! ;-)

I've had luck cooking them without foil to about 195. Not always pullable, but tasty and moist. They usually go about 3 hrs. a pound. Temps probably average around 230 for me.

If I take a chuck roast to about 205-210 internal it usually shreds pretty easily. "Chuck roast" is also a pretty generic term; if you do a web search you should be able to find a few sites that show photos of meat cuts; maybe you can find a more specific description of yours? Here's what Hormel has to say: Hormel Knowledge.

For chuck roasts, I go by time @temp, rather than coking to any specific internal temp. It helps to select a well-marbled, thick roast. I think it also helps to foil with onions for the last 3 hours or so. I cook about 9 hours for a 3 pound chuck roast. If you still had a lot of fat pockets, my guess is you didn't cook it long enough.

You can't go by temp or time alone for chuck roasts. The fork twist test is the guaranted way to tell when they are done.

When I cook a chuck roast or roll, I cook in the smoke to an internal temp of 160-165* then foil and continue to cook to 200*. At that point I start doing the fork test, when it twists with ease it's about done. In my opinion chucks need a long long rest in a dry cooler to finish up the tenderizing and juice redistribution process. I generally let an average 3-5lb roast rest 2-3 hours, and larger roasts around 4 hours. This will give you a very moist, very tender product when it's time to shred.

I use the link to stogie for chuck roasts. Have been happy with the results.

My first chuck roll was 24#. When I checked at 20 hours it was still in the 180's. I had to leave for a few hours. At 24 hours it was 230 internal just about everywhere I checked and thought I botched it. It turned out to be spectacular. I have made 3 chuck rolls so far and the first was the best. The others I have been pulling about 205.

Originally posted by Paul G.:
Scroll down this link for a recipe from a legend of this board, to wit: Stogie's chuck roast.

Paul

This is the first recipe I used for chuck roast and I haven't felt the need for any other. It is great. I would agree with a few others - you didn't cook it long enough. Chuck roast does take 3 hours per pound. I don't even check the temp.

Not necessarily. Mine don't--never have--but I cook in the low 300s grate temp. I MM the start.

I'm with David, upthread. I look for thick (thicker than brisket), well-marbled roasts. Usually they are 3.5-4.5 lbs. Rarely do they take longer than 5.75 hours, usually less. I foil at what I think will be the halfway point (usually between 2.25 and 2.5 hours in), with onions and/or other vegs, aromatics or fruit) and cook till just fork tender. I do not temp them.

Ok, so the general consensus is that I didn't cook it long enough. I'm leaning that way myself. It was around a 2.5lb roast, I cooked it for 5.5 hours'ish. I'll try again next time I do ribs.

Or try one or two alone. You can go with a higher cook temp if you wish, or not. A specific temp is immaterial; when it feels done it is.

Back