Saturday Surf and Turf

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, it was just the wife and I for dinner tonight and she said she wanted steak. So, steak it is... Of course I couldn't help but get a couple of lobster tails while I was getting the steaks from the meat counter at Sprouts. Since it was just two steaks and the tails, I decided it was time to use the Smokey Joe. Small grill, big sear.

N6Vcij6.jpg

rkbTpjq.jpg

KCVZOz0.jpg

2gtgiB6.jpg

aKa1jKd.jpg

Paired with a baked potato, salad, and of course the melted ghee for the lobster dipping deliciousness.

7B6MyaK.jpg

Looks good.

I've never had a Performer but thinking its about time, sooooo , you don't worry about a coal falling from the Smokey Joe onto the Performer table ?

I put my Joe up on an old dining table. And invariably, when I dump the coals from a chimney, I get some fall out on to the table.

I'm really torn on just buying a new Master One Touch or getting the Performer.

Lynn, get the gas assist performer you won't regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Great cook mike, looks perfect.

Thanks everyone. It was a very good meal and was always my favorite meal growing up, but we always went out to get it. Being able to do that myself at home is really a great moment for me. Thank you Weber.

Wasn't real worried about embers on the table. It's shown so far to be pretty indestructible, yet despite that I've coveted that metal version that came out right after I got mine. Lol. And, to me the performer is an absolute workhorse. I can't imagine not having it as the anchor of my lineup, even when I'm not using it.

That is an outstanding looking meal! I haven't grilled a lobster in a while. I may have to borrow that menu for Valentine's Day.

That is an outstanding looking meal! I haven't grilled a lobster in a while. I may have to borrow that menu for Valentine's Day.

I cut right down the middle of the top of the tail with shears then took a knife and cut down into the middle of the tail all the way through being careful not to cut the lower membrane. Then I splayed the tail open and cooked meat side down directly over the coals for about 5 minutes, then turned over shell side down still directly over coals until the internal temp was 145. I knew they were done when the tail meat started to curl up and seperate from the shell. Oh, and definitely get some ghee. It's just separated butter, but is exactly what you want for the lobster. It was great.

Well, did another surf and turf tonight. Teres major and grilled shrimp, on the Performer.

zqDv0WN.jpg

C2Gxszj.jpg

SHIcsCv.jpg

Also did onions and mushrooms and baked potatoes. Did the baked potatoes in the instapot. One cup of water in the bottom, fork stick the potatoes and place on the wire trivet, 20 minutes high pressure, natural release.... perfect baked potatoes.

0imbH6t.jpg

9Vad3jx.jpg

I discovered the teres major by accident. My normal butcher had them for $6.99 a pound and I bought the last two pieces they had that day. They were so good that I asked for more and they said they have them every once in a while and they always went quickly. I found them again at a different butcher for $12.99 a pound and even at that price they are a steal. Might be my new favorite cut. As tender as a filet but with way more flavor, but still very lean. So tender in fact, that once you cut it into slices like I did, you can cut it with your fork when eating it, Served at steak restaurants as medallions or petite medallions. Best kept secret in meat. Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone. lol

I bought a metal tabled Performer last year with the gas assist ignition and it really is a great thing to use. I use my GA on the work table and have had no issues with heat affecting the surface. The gas ignition trust is a wonderful thing, especially was Weber have changed their lighter cubes to those foil wrapped things. My only criticism is that the rotisserie ring that I bought 5 or 6 years ago does not fit that well in the perfumer. I think newer model 57" Weber lids have a slightly different profile to my 2011 model and as such the lid doesn't sit properly in the rotisserie ring. Consequently, I am still using my old 57" for rotisserie cooking!

Mike, lobster, shrimp, mushrooms.......... hey Chef, are you for hire? lol

Lol thanks. I have to be careful where I get seafood here in Oklahoma. If I were there in Florida I'd go crazy. My wife wants to retire there so it actually will happen at some point anyway.

COME ON DOWN - Oh wait, that is from a TV show. Oh what the heck, come on down anyway. lol

I shouldn't say this, but one of the things I do is try to get Maine lobster instead of Florida lobster. More meat to eat. lol

COME ON DOWN - Oh wait, that is from a TV show. Oh what the heck, come on down anyway. lol

I shouldn't say this, but one of the things I do is try to get Maine lobster instead of Florida lobster. More meat to eat. lol

Lol. Cold water lobster definitely tends to be better than the alternative. But, everything else down there is good. Everytime we visit we eat as much seafood as we can.

Back