Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper grate for an 18" Bar-b-kettle?

TVWBB Pro

Proper grate for an 18" Bar-b-kettle?

So, I picked this old 18" Bar-b-kettle out of a neighbor's trash last Fall. Finally had a chance to clean it up today. Replaced the dampers and got some nice wood handles from Etsy. Went to put in a hinged 18" grate I bought a while back for my Jumbo Joe and found that it slid right past the grate ring on the Bar-b-kettle. This doesn't have brackets to hold the grate, just an indent around the circumference of the bowl that it rests on. The original grate is still in there, bit super rusty, so I'd like to replace it. The JJ grates measure 17-1/2". This one measures about 17-3/4" or 17-7/8". Maybe the top grate from the 18" WSM would work? Anyone have one they could measure for me?
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

TVWBB All-Star
    I'll try to remember to check tomorrow, but how old is the Bar-B-Kettle? I have a couple of old ones and they both have the grate brackets/tabs.

top grate for a 18.5" WSM or 18.5" kettle is 17.5" Those old JJ's with the indent had a special grate you can't find anymore.
    You can still use a newer grate, it wont sit in the indents just a little lower.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

My old 18.5" (06) Smokey Joe Platinum (SJP) has the same indent and the same grate (17-7/8") as your Bar-B-Kettle
    I've used spare grates from my 18.5" WSM (17-1/2") on it in the past and they just slide down about 1/2".
    Still secure and the grates not going anywhere.

Tim

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    My old 18.5" (06) Smokey Joe Platinum (SJP) has the same indent and the same grate (17-7/8") as your Bar-B-Kettle
    I've used spare grates from my 18.5" WSM (17-1/2") on it in the past and they just slide down about 1/2".
    Still secure and the grates not going anywhere.

Tim
    Thanks, Tim. I did try that, and I can see it would work, but the grate didn't seem too stable. I think I'm going to drill and mount some L brackets so the hold the grate right at the level of the indent. Or, just let it ride. I think this is going to replace my JJ (along with the Cajun Bandit stacker ring) as my small-jobs smoker when I don't feel like feeding the 22" WSM, so there wouldn't be a grate mounted down there anyway.

TVWBB Fan
    Chad, Bar-B-Kettles can be collectors items and worth something. If you drill it to add brackets the value will drop. You might want to go over to the Weber Kettle Club (WKC) site and see if you can find a grate there or sell it to one of their collector members and then go buy a newer 18 that takes the new size grates. Or clean up the old grate and leave it there and put the new one on top of it.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NS View Post
    Chad, Bar-B-Kettles can be collectors items and worth something. If you drill it to add brackets the value will drop. You might want to go over to the Weber Kettle Club (WKC) site and see if you can find a grate there or sell it to one of their collector members and then go buy a newer 18 that takes the new size grates. Or clean up the old grate and leave it there and put the new one on top of it.
    I'm not 100% sure it's a "collectible" vintage. There don't seem to be any markings to indicate the age/year of manufacture, but based on the design, I suspect it's late 90s-ish?

However, I totally understand that drilling through it is probably not a great (or grate?) idea. I have a couple friends who have welding/cutting tools and think maybe an "adapter ring" that sits on the original lip and then accepts the newer-sized grate would be a better option. Or, like I said, just skip the grate since I won't need one there if using it with the CB stacker ring.

Anyway, here are a couple of "after" pics. As you can see, there are some dings and such on the outside (it's got lots of "character") and a bit of pitting on the inside, but I think it's got a few years left in it.

TVWBB Pro
    Actually, looking at the Age Guide (http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/), this guy appears to have been made sometime between 1982 and 2000. I'll have to take a closer look at the lid damper to see if there's any kind of marking on it.

I love those old daisy wheels, can't believe somebody tossed that into the trash.
    New handles?

Tim

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I love those old daisy wheels, can't believe somebody tossed that into the trash.
    New handles?

Tim
    Well, they used it as an ashtray for who knows how long before kicking it to the curb. The dampers were rusted up pretty tight, but as you can see, despite the questionable life choices made on its behalf, it cleaned up pretty nice.

The handles are white oak, ordered from Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/5585167...ent-handle-for). They fit pretty well, but there's a little gap between the halves even with the screw cinched up tight. I'm not overly concerned since it's clear they're not original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast