Thread: First Turkey - Spatchcock

TVWBB Fan

First Turkey - Spatchcock

Well, I did it, but the results were mixed due to a Rookie Mistake (at least two).

Brined 24 hours and let dry overnight per the Apple Brine recipe:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    On the smoker. Rookie mistake number 1 - I think that tying the legs together may have been a mistake. Having them tight to the lower edge of the breast may have hindered cooking in that area:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    After 2.5 hours:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Plated and served:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The bird was gorgeous; one apple and one cherry chunk was all I used. Breast was fine; however, the dark meat was under-cooked.

Rookie Mistake #2; I ran temps between 310 and 330...I didn't bother pushing up the temp towards 350. The skin was tasty, but not crispy. SOme of it was a bit leathery.

Rookie Mistake #3; when my breast probe read 161, I went and stuck a probe in the thigh meat and got 172...I figured, "pull it for rest, she's done!". NOPE. After reading a few posts by others, that 165 breast temp should have been considered a minimum, PLUS I should have probed at least 3 places in that thigh and I'l bet I would have found lower temps. DOH!

Final take-away; not sure if the 2-day effort of brining was worth it in the end. Everybody enjoyed the breast meat, but I was disappointed since I'm a dark meat guy. I didn't get any feedback that the flavor factor was significantly enhanced.

If I had gone longer (min 165) at higher temp would I have gotten more tender juicy breast meat? Not sure.
    WSM 18.5, Cajun Bandit SS Door, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

Yes, that bird is gorgeous
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

Congrats! That is a good looking turkey!

TVWBB Hall of Fame Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I saw a cool tip from Jacques Pepin,
    He cuts through the skin on the ďankleĒ and pokes the other leg tip through there. No string to fuss with! Iíve done it a couple of times with excellent results!
    The bird really looks good to me, by the way!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett