Heater Meter case dimensions

It is currently 99.815 x 101.25 x 35.4mm for the 4.3 Pi3 Thermocouple case. The buttons are proud of the top surface though by a few millimeters (<7.5mm).

It is currently 99.815 x 101.25 x 35.4mm for the 4.3 Pi3 Thermocouple case. The buttons are proud of the top surface though by a few millimeters (<7.5mm).

HUGE help, Bryan. Thanks a bunch. I got this while we were out hacking away. Sounds like my plan will work out just fine!

Oops I just realized that dimension doesn't take into account the little bulge where the Pi connectors are. That adds 1.7mm, so 101.515x101.25x35.4mm

Oops I just realized that dimension doesn't take into account the little bulge where the Pi connectors are. That adds 1.7mm, so 101.515x101.25x35.4mm

All good, my man. Depth was the main concern. I'm making a recess for it to fit in. I think the plan is to be 8" x 8" x 2" or, in mm, 203.2 x 203.2 x 50.8 mm. That gives enough space to add some sort of backing to fix the case in to the recess and still not have it stick out past the the opening.

Thanks again for the info.

Ummmm..... I'll bet you're gonna end up wanting it larger, at least deeper. I can measure the pocket I put in my double pan GF later this weekend. The front opening is square (as wide as I could get it between 2 frame members,) and at least 4" deep. Personally, I sure wouldn't want it any shallower, and wider wouldn't have been undesirable either.

Ummmm..... I'll bet you're gonna end up wanting it larger, at least deeper. I can measure the pocket I put in my double pan GF later this weekend. The front opening is square (as wide as I could get it between 2 frame members,) and at least 4" deep. Personally, I sure wouldn't want it any shallower, and wider wouldn't have been undesirable either.

Think so? Plan is to put a hood over the top of the recess, so if it sits close to flush with the front of the recess, I'm good with that. I just don't want it poking out.

In descending order, I want wider, deeper, shorter. 2" on each side IMO is barely enough for the cabling. Mine sits a little canted in a cradle because it's really not wide enough to sit square with the front. And about the only reason I'd want a hood over the top would be so I could take a sheet of clear high temp plastic and mag mount it up under the hood to keep weather out (and I've ran mine down to -6 F and below.)

In descending order, I want wider, deeper, shorter. 2" on each side IMO is barely enough for the cabling. Mine sits a little canted in a cradle because it's really not wide enough to sit square with the front. And about the only reason I'd want a hood over the top would be so I could take a sheet of clear high temp plastic and mag mount it up under the hood to keep weather out (and I've ran mine down to -6 F and below.)

Hood will be only for cooking in the rain. If it's a windy storm, I just won't run the controller. I'll have a hood for the blower/damper, too.

Will consider making it deeper. Might use 1" tubing, then offset it behind the frame tubing. Will gain an extra two inches of width that way.

I appreciate the input on this design, sir. Very helpful before we start modding.

I'll get dimensions and maybe a couple of pics tomorrow morning when I fire it up.

What style of smoker are you building?

Ah, THOSE guys.....

This will make it easier... the pocket I built in just fits between the vertical frame members above the firebox with a square front opening, at least 4" deep. I did build a passthrough from the pocket into the cook chamber, sealed with silicon rubber pass through gaskets (actually Weber smoker pass throughs.)

And, in the harsh light of day.... beans are in, chicken goes in around 3, cauliflower goes in around 4, and dinner around 5.

HeaterMeter Pocket

Warning: That is a large file, I pulled straight from my phone.

The pocket is full width between frame members, and about 6" deep. I do put the power brick behind the HM, which does increase the depth requirements. I did add a right angle adapter to the power line, which helps with the width requirement. And in spite of the insulation behind it, that pocket does get rather warm. Not warm enough to start melting plastic, but you're not going to want to leave your bare hand on it for long.

And, in the harsh light of day.... beans are in, chicken goes in around 3, cauliflower goes in around 4, and dinner around 5.

HeaterMeter Pocket

Warning: That is a large file, I pulled straight from my phone.

The pocket is full width between frame members, and about 6" deep. I do put the power brick behind the HM, which does increase the depth requirements. I did add a right angle adapter to the power line, which helps with the width requirement. And in spite of the insulation behind it, that pocket does get rather warm. Not warm enough to start melting plastic, but you're not going to want to leave your bare hand on it for long.

You need to paint that thing lol

Back