Beef Back Ribs

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
After a week at the beach, eating wonderful seafood, I was ready for a change. There I spied it on the menu. It called out to me. Braised Beef Back Ribs. They were wonderful. Maybe anything not seafood would have been wonderful. So after 4 or 5 nights out, eating from the sea, I proclaimed the back ribs to be my best meal! After a glass or two of wine, I enquired of the chef, how did you do the ribs? As I remember and read between the lines, he braised the boneless back ribs for at least a few hours. Worchestershire was a predominate flavor. He finished the ribs in a hot oven for 30+ minutes. They did have a nice 'bark'.

Back home I spied Angus Beef Back Ribs at a fine market nearby. I cannot recall having done these. I did my research then proceeded with my interpretation...

First, I deboned 4, 1/2 pound ribs. Then I poured on some worchestershire. Applied some homemade rub adapted from Kruger's rib rub. Back to the fridge for an hour or two.
Next, I committed blasphemy, I fired up the 18" WSM and ran up to 250* as indicated on the Weber built-in thermometer. I smoked the boneless ribs at the 'indicated' 250* for 3 hours-maple and oak wood from my trees. Then I foiled the ribs with worchestershire, balsamic vinegar and No.5 sauce (with cherries) and cooked for 1.5 hours at 250. Finally, I unwrapped the ribs and finished at 250-275 for 40 minutes. Gosh they were a treat. I'll do more beef back ribs in the future.

That sounds good. Every time I cook them it seems like a lot of work for not much meat. I think going boneless might be a good idea. I've had the beef back rib at the Salt Lick and they cut them so that you basically get 2 bones worth of meat per rib and they are excellent.

Its my understanding, that the reason beef back ribs don't have a lot of meat, is they cut the rib eye off those ribs. So they want to get all the meat they can on the rib eye. But the meat on the back rib is suppose to be the same as rib eye ............ and that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Its my understanding, that the reason beef back ribs don't have a lot of meat, is they cut the rib eye off those ribs. So they want to get all the meat they can on the rib eye. But the meat on the back rib is suppose to be the same as rib eye ............ and that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Here in South Florida when Publix supermarkets has a ribeye rib roast sale their beef ribs are also on sale, $2.99 per lb. The beef ribs are usually very meaty, more meat than I have seen compared to any other grocer or butcher around here. I always Q them (225 - 250) on my 18" with no pan and they come out great.

Back