Why can't we just call it all barbecue?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I fully get having two topics here, barbecuing and grilling.
But when was the last time you invited folks over for some grilling?
People put bbq sauce on meat and cook it in a slow cooker, or oven, and call it barbecue. That's a no go, of course, terminology and technically wise.
Personally, I think it's fine to lump both methods together and call it barbecue whether it's cooked outside hot and fast on a grill, or low and slow in a smoker.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:
But when was the last time you invited folks over for some grilling?

Never. But I have never invited anyone over for BBQ either.
I remember back when I was a kid in the 70's hearing this terminology.
But I have not heard any of that in at least 30 years.
Today it is more specific. "Come over and let's throw some steaks on the grill."
"Hey come over tonight. I'm smoking a brisket."

I think you started something Bob and Dave. Let's have some fun. What does anyone else call it?

How about coming over for a cookout?
Let's eat out on the patio.
Come on over for some backyard fun.

Just a few we have used.

Never. But I have never invited anyone over for BBQ either.
I remember back when I was a kid in the 70's hearing this terminology.
We live on different sides of our state, but "having a barbecue" is very common on this side, no matter how the food is cooked.
I'm thinking it's common terminology for most of the USA.

Calling it all BBQ! What the? What am I, Canadian?

BBQ is low and slow, anything else is grilling. Don't try to make this complicated.

We pretty much don't mention the cook method, it's more like "come on over for dinner", or "do you want to come over for pulled pork?".

BBQ is low and slow, anything else is grilling. Don't try to make this complicated.
This is the type attitude that prompted my post. :)
Actually, I was trying to simplify things.

1727698.jpg

If BBQ Pitmasters is the definitive word in BBQ then both are BBQ because some of their challenges require grilling to the short time window to cook the meat. However that's TV and TV is never the definitive word so the debate continues.

I cooked a Brisket for Fathers Day. It had bark and a smoke ring. It passed the pull test, sliced wonderfully, and tasted great. Was that BBQ? You tell me.
Smoker 6 hrs. at 180°, Sous Vide 36 hrs. at 165, smoke 2 hours, rest, and serve.

If BBQ Pitmasters is the definitive word in BBQ then both are BBQ because some of their challenges require grilling to the short time window to cook the meat. However that's TV and TV is never the definitive word so the debate continues.

I cooked a Brisket for Fathers Day. It had bark and a smoke ring. It passed the pull test, sliced wonderfully, and tasted great. Was that BBQ? You tell me.
Smoker 6 hrs. at 180°, Sous Vide 36 hrs. at 165, smoke 2 hours, rest, and serve.
For a definitive answer you have to go to the internet. :p
St Louis style pork steaks, grill hot and fast for a few minutes, then in a bbq sauce and beer bath, covered and on the grill for maybe 2 more hours, then back on the grill to firm the sauce.
Let's call that grillaque.

Here in So Cal (San Diego) we just invite folks over for a "Q" now that could mean Grill or Low & Slow but it always means good folks, good times, and good eats.
Have a wonderful 4th and fire up the Qs.

Bill

Personally, I think it's fine to lump both methods together and call it barbecue whether it's cooked outside hot and fast on a grill, or low and slow in a smoker.
Your thoughts?

I always read/heard that barbecue came from the word Barbacoa, which loosely means to cook a whole or split animal over live fire in either an open or closed environment.

Tim

Growing up, barbecuing or having a barbecue, was outdoor cooking over charcoal briquettes. That got us by for years. I really didn't learn of the distinction between barbecue and grilling until I joined this forum a few years ago. I understand it and try to comply whenever I post a cook or offer comments. Honestly though, when the family or friends get together around here, we're barbecuing, regardless of what's on the menu or what I'm cooking it on. ;)

I recently (Memorial Day) invited my parents over because "I was grilling some hamburgers." Does that count as inviting someone over for grilling? On the 4th, I've invited them over because I'm smoking a brisket.

I tend to not use the term "BBQ" outside of referring to the food itself. For me, the preparation act is either smoking or grilling (low and slow = smoke, or hot and fast = grilling.) For me, BBQ is the finished product, usually something you can find at a BBQ restaurant (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc.).

BBQ has become a general and generic term and that's fine.

Next on the list agenda, Soda vs Pop.

Do you grab a soda?
Do you grab a pop?
Do you grab a Coke, no matter what kind of drinks it is.

Once we get that sorted out we can move to Kodak moment. ;) :)

What if it (chicken / chops) are mopped with barbecue sauce & then rotated a few more times?.................. or hot/fast ribs on the grill, or brisket on the grill?

I was flipping channels today waiting for the Sox game and watched an episode of Steve Raichlens project fire.
One of the endorsers ( I BBQ ) was the maker of an outdoor grilling table https://www.ibbq.com/

Tim

Back