hunsaker vortex in WSM

TroyS

TVWBB Member
Does anyone here in the forum use a Hunsaker Vortex in your WSM? I have one and have used it but was wondering if the dome shape WSM lid sort of nullifies the mechanics of the vortex. From what I understand the vortex allows heat and smoke to rise in a spinning or circular fashion thus balancing flow, hot spots, etc. But with a dome lid is this function even needed?

ya know...I don't know, frankly I can't imagine it makes much, or any difference, Having said that, I bought one, when Harry soo did his review here, :D

Yep, I bought the hype, lol , and the coals burn nice, and everything gets hot....I will say the Hunsakers were very nice to deal with, and this thing is built like a brick outhouse and should last about, oh, forever.
If it does all the things it's supposed to, great, not sure how you'd be able to quantify the improvement, but it's a nice piece of equipment.

Geo S I'm thinking the same thing. Either in the WSM or my drum smoker it probably is an improvement in flow but to what degree maybe not a big factor.

I have used the vortex basket in my dad's 18WSM and have a vortex plate for my 22WSM. Both work great. I am finding I no longer need to rotate the hanging rack because everything cooks more evenly. YMMV.

I have used the vortex basket in my dad's 18WSM and have a vortex plate for my 22WSM. Both work great. I am finding I no longer need to rotate the hanging rack because everything cooks more evenly. YMMV.[/QUOTE

I didn't think about that but it would definitely help with a rib rack. Thanks!

I can't imagine it does enough to make it worthwhile. I don't know if there's anyway to quantify it. I guess if it makes your cooking more enjoyable, then go for it!

I can't imagine it does enough to make it worthwhile. I don't know if there's anyway to quantify it. I guess if it makes your cooking more enjoyable, then go for it!

I agree. It does seem like it's a pretty neutral element but doesn't hurt in any way.

I have one and I haven't noticed the smoke spinning (haven't really looked), but the heat is more even. I've always had to protect the outside edges (like when cooking a large brisket) with foil because the outer 1" or so is much hotter than the rest of the WSM when set up normally. Not so with the Vortex Basket. I'm pleased. I also had just the plate for a while. Much cheaper and also provides even heat. My BIL bought the basket for a homemade smoker and it wouldn't fit, so he swapped me the basket for the plate. Both work great.

I have one and I haven't noticed the smoke spinning (haven't really looked), but the heat is more even. I've always had to protect the outside edges (like when cooking a large brisket) with foil because the outer 1" or so is much hotter than the rest of the WSM when set up normally. Not so with the Vortex Basket. I'm pleased. I also had just the plate for a while. Much cheaper and also provides even heat. My BIL bought the basket for a homemade smoker and it wouldn't fit, so he swapped me the basket for the plate. Both work great.

Good info to know

This good information ,I was looking for something to even out the heat to remove edge hot spots, at a affordable price. This could be it but I will make my own unit custom.

Back