Smoker Box old style Summit Gold C

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I picked up this old style 4 burner Summit today. After checking why the grates are not as wide as the firebox I realized that the smoker box is missing. It has the smoker burner on the left. Is the smoker box by chance the same as from the older Genesis? Asking because someone is selling a brand new one in my area. Just wondering if that fits a Summit as well. Just talking about the box. Not the grate.
https://offerup.co/kP65E3D8xX

I think the entire cook box on the summit is a different size than the Genesis grills and that makes me think it would not work in a Summit. But it would be interesting to know for sure.

How about a picture of the firebox that shows the size of the "missing" area?

Someone local to me has been trying to sell this one for MONTHS:

00a0a_hMr9LmMckhb_1200x900.jpg

Stefan:
If the gap is only about 2" wide then the Genesis one will work. That smoke box is about 19.5 inches front to back for the Genesis. Not sure if a Summit has that measurement. Besides, since it resides over the crossover burner sitting on the flavorizer bars bottom of the box is not solid since it has vee shaped opennings to sit directly on the bars. It goes through pellets or chips pretty quickly and they tend to catch fire which drives the temps bonkers even if pre-soaked.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The grates in the grill are the exact same ones as in a Genesis but there is a 4.5” gap. Not sure if theses are the original ones. So I guess the Genesis smoker box will not work.
Here is a photo:
poHPgVEVj

Last edited:
The grates for that grill MAY fit a new style (front control) Genesis but will not fit an older sidewinder Genesis i.e. 1, 2, 3 or 1000, 2000, 3000 or B/C They're too long to fit in those older styles. RCPlanebuyer makes a single flavo bar and small grate to cover that area though.

LMichaels. The grates in that Summit are the exact same as in a x000 or Silver/Gold BC. I swapped them to make sure. Meaning that Summit has the same firebox depth of 17.5” as an older style Genesis prior to 2006. The firebox is just 4.5” wider.

LMichaels. The grates in that Summit are the exact same as in a x000 or Silver/Gold BC. I swapped them to make sure. Meaning that Summit has the same firebox depth of 17.5” as an older style Genesis prior to 2006. The firebox is just 4.5” wider.

What is true is that the current third generation Summit grates ARE too long for the Genesis x000 or Silver/Gold/Platinum B,C grills. However, I have two sets waiting for me to try my hand at shaving off enough from each end to make them where they will fit. Soon:(...

I tested my brother's 2nd gen Summit and the grates are not able to fit a Genesis. His fire box is deeper front to back than any 1st or 2nd gen Genesis I have ever seen. I knew because I actually tried a set of grates from my 1st gen Summit 450 (same size as Genesis) in his 2nd gen Summit and they fell through and landed on the flavo bars. I did it because he wanted stainless rod grates and I had an extra set here from a 1st gen Summit 4XX I scraped out.

Back