I'm goin to Festival of the Pig

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
In two weeks, June 21-23. Its the Oklahoma Barbecue Championship. I've never been to a comp event. It runs Friday through Sunday, if I were gonna pick one day, which day should I go ?

Any tips on attending these events, would be appreciated.

https://www.okbbqchamp.com

I went to one around the corner from me not long ago. Here are some of my thoughts.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77457-BBQ-Championship&p=852050#post852050

I also met Chris while I was there since he was there judging the Q at this event.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77...rn-Festival-amp-BBQ-Championship-Elk-Grove-CA

I went for a short time on Friday when the teams were rolling in and setting up. And went back on Saturday during the day competition. My thoughts if you only go one day would be to go Saturday three or four hours before turn on time. That way you see everyone cooking and smell all the food. But when it gets close to turn in time (my experience, at least an hour before) the turn in, back off. That is crunch time for the teams.

I made myself scarce untill all the boxes were turned in, then went back to the pits. By that time most of the teams were packing up and waiting for results.

I've only been to one, but I'll do it again when it comes back. Others with more experience probably have more advice to offer.

Well, I will be going on Sunday, that's when they turn in their cooks. I've already bought my tickets.

This should be fun

Have a good time Lynn. I'm hoping to catch one close to me some day. I think it would be a great way to spend the day.

We had a line of T-Storms move through this morning, 7 to 8 am'ish . Expected to rain till noon or one oclock. Looks like my first barbecue comp visit is in trouble.

Thinking about those crews cooking through this, they had briskets on the pit, and were probably either prepping ribs or putting them on the pit when the storms blew through.

Hope it clears off.

And everything but the cook off was canceled due to weather.

We made a quick pass through the cooking area and looked at the smokers and headed home.

Dang, I was gonna have a few beers and enter the karoke contest .................................... not really :eek:

Looks like Clark Crew BBQ took the Grand Champion honors, with SuperSwine BBQ taking Reserve Grand Champion. A couple of very well known BBQ teams there !

I was wondering about the results. Clarks Crew wins about everything, them and Butcher, who btw, I did not see there. Doesn't mean they weren't there.

Clarks Crew is going to open a barbecue joint in OKC. Its under construction now. Will have two 1000 gallon propane tank smokers. And from the plans I saw, they will have a hostess who will seat customers with waiters taking orders. That's a big departure for barbecue joints here.

I did get a few pics ............. honestly, it felt a little awkward taking pics of these people cooking, it was like walking through a campground taking pics of people camping :)

I did not see any WSM or Kettles.

This is Clarks Crew Jambo

fOitvjO.jpg

A JP Custom offset

w12hlO5.jpg

I saw more Jambos than any other type of smoker

Scjv9E0.jpg

I think I saw at least three using drums

VPq4kCT.jpg

At least an equal number with pellet poopers, the Yoder 640 being the most popular

bSPgMjm.jpg

oyk5r4z.jpg

Edit, I've found out this is a Jambo

tRb3Kzj.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent photos, Lynn !!

Looks like Clarks Crew is currently #2 in the KCBS Team of the Year points race.
AND... Our very own TVWBB Member, Jerry of Burnin and Lootin, is #5 !!!!!!
These are KCBS's international standings !!!

[h=1]2019 Team of the Year[/h] BOOMERANG BBQ
2794​

CLARK CREW BBQ
2535​

BUNCH OF SWINES
2461​

4 LEGS UP BBQ
2407​

BURNIN AND LOOTIN
2401​

WOLF'S REVENGE BBQ
2330​