Genesis 310 vs 335?

Billy B

I'm in the market for a new gas grill. I'm coming off of a Weber Performer, but due to new crappy apartment rules, I need to switch to gas. So I'm trying to figure out which model to get, and figured you all might have some wise advice. To give you some background, I grill generally 2-3 times per week, sometimes just for myself, but do tend to entertain groups. I live in Seattle, which is raining 60% of the year, however, I do have a covered area, and I'll have a grill cover, so the grill won't get hit by rain. Here are my questions:

1. Genesis II 310 or 335 - Open cart versus closed. Personally I like the closed since you don't get the view of the grease tray, and I can store things in it. However, does it get rusty? Is it hard to clean? Would it be better to get an open cart?
2. Stainless Steel versions - (https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/61006001.html?cgid=40#start=1) They look great, but does that last? Is it worth the extra money? Is it hard to clean?
3. Side burner - Worth it?
4. 3 or 4 burners - When I cook meals, I tend to grill everything - proteins, veggies, everything. Adding a burner adds a few hundred more, so I'm weighing all my options.
5. Warranty - How good is it? Say for example I get some rust or something. My Performer warranty wasn't bad, but limited.

Any other suggestions or pro tips will be greatly appreciated. It's an investment that I hope lasts a long time. Thanks again all!

1: Open cart, less problems with rust which your wet environment might make an issue. Time will tell if these newer Webers will have that problem, but it was a big problem up until the Genesis II lineup came out.
2: I personally wouldn't take SS over the others as it really doesn't do much for durability. Unless the frame and other parts are stainless, it won't help prolong the life of the grill. I find the colored porcelain lids and side panels extremely robust and easy to clean compared to Stainless.
3: Personal choice here. But keep in mind that with much wind, the side burner will not heat well.
4: Warranty claims are hit and miss. It seems to depend on the C/S rep that you get when you call. I don't know what the newer grills have for warranties, but I thought that Weber kind up upped their hand in that area. But, my advice is to read the fine print carefully. A lot of times, rust won't be covered on items unless it is "rust through" and not just surface rust.

That being said, find a good Genesis Silver C or 3000 and rehab it. For $200 or less you will have a very capable grill that perform as well as Genesis II 335 and likely last just as long or longer. A lot of members here have already rehabbed one or more of the older Genesis grills and are very happy with them and in the process have an extra $500 to spend on cow flesh. If you think rehabbing an older weber might be something you might want to check into, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum to tap into. We are all very happy to lend advice.

Hey Billy B, welcome to the board! I'm in the Renton area.

1. Hard to say because I have both and it's too early to tell if the new Genesis IIs with the enclosed cabinet will rust quickly. The previous version did and that was a huge turnoff for some folks.
2. I prefer the porcelain hood (esp. blue) over stainless.
3. Side burner is a plus but not a deal breaker because you can always get a portable butane stove and use that as a side burner also and store it when not in use for the extra space.
4. See Bruce's response.

I did have an 2018 Genesis II E-310 but ended up selling it because I was not using it as much as I have 2 personal grills that I prefer to use (2001 Genesis Platinum C 13 bar, used for my rotisserie cooks and an 05 Genesis Platinum C, used as my daily driver). If you like to tinker with stuff then I suggest you try an rehab a grill yourself as you can save a lot of cash doing it that way. If not then the 345 that they sell at Costco is a pretty good deal IMO. Check it out if you haven't already.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77031-Saw-this-Genesis-at-Costco-today

Here's a pic of my 05 Genesis Platinum C and kettle...I leave it out uncovered during the rain and snow and it still cooks like a champ!

VFnRvbX.jpg

I get the refurb angle, and I appreciate that advice, but I want to start fresh and take advantage of the warranty if I have any issues.

One forgotten question - sear station. Is it worth it and does it matter?

I just purchased an E-335 and purchased SS grates just waiting for them to be delivered so I can fire it up.

I cant speak to longevity yet but I will say that Putting it together everything felt very solid, I think it will last a very long time. The warranty is 10 years bumper to bumper. Heat deflectors and flavorizer bars are stainless so thats a nice bonus.

As far as I have read around the net I dont think the sear station is a gimmick but I have never had a grill with one so time will tell.

Awesome! Did you get the all stainless steel E-335? Keep me posted on what you think of your new grill. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Billy,

Welcome to TVWBB!

Here's my 2 1/2 cents worth:):

In my opinion, the open cart is the way to go. I can see the aesthetics argument, but after the inside of your cabinet is rusted out, it won't look good...

352oh76.jpg

I think stainless hoods are misnamed as they stain easily and clean up with difficulty, at least in my view. I would go with a porcelain hood that Weber has shown it is good at making for decades.

The four burner model gives impressive space if you need it. But, if you really don't, I would stick with the three burner. However, I personally believe the sear burner option IS worthwhile. You would still be getting four burners, just closer together. I had a sear burner on my previous generation E-330. I found that it does help with searing steaks and chops. You will get other advice, so you will just have to draw your own conclusions. My opinion is at least based on real personal use.

A side burner is not something I have ever really used, but it is nice to know it is there when you live in Florida facing a hurricane and potential electric outage. Most of the nicer Weber Genesis II models are just going to include one whether you want it or not.

I think Weber has upped the warranty on the new Genesis II, so if you buy one I would just press them hard if you have a problem. Register your purchase right away. Take care of it carefully and photograph any issues in case you need to prove it to Weber. If you work hard at caring for your grill, I think you could possible avoid any need for a warranty claim.

My final personal suggestions:

Since, you said you are set on a new grill, I won't belabor the point. However, it is true you could buy one awesomely restored classic Genesis from several members here with all new highest grade stainless grates and flavorizer bars from Dave Santana aka rcplanebuyer and still have plenty of $ leftover. Your new Genesis II will have good internals but not of that quality. Buying a gorgeous, restored grill would be like getting a new grill, only better.

mvdv8HC.jpg

fdhnMsV.jpg

yoCgE1L.jpg

If you are unconvinced, my recommendation for a new Genesis II is this one:

73FyOEQ.jpg

9mm stainless rod grates, sear burner, handle light, open cart, crimson "redhead" hood...very sweet!

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...ition-propane-gas-grill-crimson-61032201-2019

Last edited:
Woah, those restored models are sexy as hell. WOW!! Maybe someday down the road. Man, that wood looks incredible!

However, after seeing somewhere else on this forum about the Costco deal, I nabbed one of those. Originally I wanted the 4 burner, but this three burner has LX features such as the lighted knobs, included cover and iGrill3. For the base price of a 335, that's hard to beat. Very excited to set it up, but disappointed I won't get to set it up for two weeks due to a business trip.

Now if Weber could release the GBS grates the UK gets for this grill, this will be perfect.

Thanks again everyone, this is a forum I'll be visiting more often!

Awesome! Did you get the all stainless steel E-335? Keep me posted on what you think of your new grill. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I got the Porcelain enameled black version. I am not crazy about stainless hoods and doors. There is enough stainless on the black one to try and keep clean LOL

Hey Billy, if you haven't yet then check out the Weber S-345 at your local Costco, it's a model made just for Costco and comes with a bunch of extra accessories and stuff.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77673-Looking-at-a-new-Genesis-II-335

Read into that thread as someone bought it and is happy with it.

I'm south of you in Puyallup and got the Costco version of the 335 (345) over the holiday and love it. If you can find one, it's a great deal. You will have the SS 7 mm grates, extra probes for the iGrill3, cover (which is huge for us) and the lighted knobs. Plus the Costco warranty is lifetime for grills and doesn't fall under the 90 day rule for some items.

I haven't used the seer station yet but will and am glad to have it.

Back