Thread: What is medium on a gasser ?

TVWBB Diamond Member

What is medium on a gasser ?

So, I am adjusting to a new Genesis. Full on high is over 600*. Weber's Big Book of Grilling says to cook hamburgers direct on "medium".
    So what is medium on a Genesis 3-burner?
    I turned the knobs down to what I thought might be medium. Result was 500*.
    I'm thinking that is not medium.
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB Super Fan
    I would call around 350-375 medium. I'm not sure how many burners you have but you might have to turn one of them off.
    Last edited by Todd NC; 05-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    18" One-Touch Silver, 22" One-Touch Gold^2, Summit E-420, 22.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, Jumbo Joe.

TVWBB All-Star
    The knobs are just a reference. For my Genesis, high is grease fire. Medium is 450-550. When I start with the knob at medium after warmup, very slight adjustments either way make big differences in temps. My advice is to cook by the temps on the lid thermometer and learn what knob positions corresponds with those temps. I cook hamburgers at around 450, steaks at 550-600 and know what knob positions create those temps.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    The knobs are just a reference. For my Genesis, high is grease fire. Medium is 450-550. When I start with the knob at medium after warmup, very slight adjustments either way make big differences in temps. My advice is to cook by the temps on the lid thermometer and learn what knob positions corresponds with those temps. I cook hamburgers at around 450, steaks at 550-600 and know what knob positions create those temps.
    I agree with almost all of this! I just gave my Genesis silver B to a friend and made my 1st gen Genesis (deeper fire box, same burners & lid, more flavorizer bars) my primary gasser. I'm having to re-learn it but it seems pretty similar.
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I did a third or fourth chicken on the gasser tonight. I managed to run about 375. It is taking a while to adjust to new gas. So far so good. thanks for the input.
    Peach Kissed Q