Short proofing rack?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’m looking for a short (maybe ten sheet capacity) bun proofing rack but, I really don’t want to spend the high side of a hundred bucks to get it. Anyone have y don’t need or want? I’m trying to make better use of my pantry space and I think that would be a good place to start storing sheet pans, cutting boards, hotel pans and the like.
I’m cheap as it can get and I might just need to tap my cabinetmaker buddy on this one and make something out of his really nice scrap! Ash or Sycamore might be nice. Less industrial but, for this the steel and aluminum ones might be the better route.
Suggestions?

check out home depot for plastic shelving/racks? Also, if you have a waste recycling center, a lot of times they have shelving available for sale.

check out home depot for plastic shelving/racks? Also, if you have a waste recycling center, a lot of times they have shelving available for sale.

Yep, they have cabinet and pantry organizers with some good ideas. I have enough room to store my sheet pans and cutting boards sideways in my base cabinets. I also have a double oven and the bottom one is used for storing roasting and full pans.

Tim

Len, you must have missed my posts regarding Hardly Decent. I don’t care if that place was giving them away, made of GOLD! I will not offer any of my business to a place that gives as poor customer service as I have received from them!
Maybe the “ReStore”, Salvation Army, good idea.
Tim, I envy the room you have! I have ten pounds if stuff in an eight pound house! All the stuff I’ve seen at big box places is either too big or crap.
Fletch, my brother in law has those in his kitchen, I’ve considered them but, where I want to use thethat design does not really do the job.

Last edited:
saved considerable space in terms of storing skillets and sheet pans.

After re-reading my reply It's not accurate that these racks saved me space... but they help immensely in terms of offering quick, easy access to our skillets, pans, and cutting boards.

"Hardly Decent" must be local to you (although I don't remember seeing your post). Up here we have a one-off "WasteWise" company (in addition to Salvation Army ("Sally Ann")). Just meant as a thought starter :D

No Home Depot for me ever again. Really terrible customer support, save one person. Everyone else I dealt with was worthless and had no interest in fixing the problem!
Consequently I won’t even buy charcoal from them ever, anywhere!

Back