Spicy Honey

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
1/4 cup honey
2 TBSP Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce

Combine ingredients in 2 cup glass measuring cup (allows headroom for honey to bubble up during boiling). Microwave in 20 second increments until boiling, about 1 minute. Continue in 20 second increments until reduced to 1/4 cup. Cool for 10+ minutes before drizzling over roasted veggies. Use immediately as the sauce solidifies with further cooling.

Do not use thicker hot sauces like sriracha, the sauce will be too thick to drizzle.

From Cook's Illustrated magazine, Nov/Dec 2018

Last edited:
I want to try this........... 1 part Franks to 4 parts honey..................... I'll probably skip the heat at first.

3YC9s7n.gif

Or try some of the new Tabasco Honey sauce,just found it today.Didn't know they made such and cant wait to try it on some wings or fried chicken lol

Can I use Frank's Buffalo sauce?

Short answer: No, not if you want to make the recipe as intended.

Long answer:

Frank's Buffalo contains: Distilled Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Salt, Water, Canola Oil, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Natural Butter Type Flavor, Garlic Powder

Frank's RedHot contains: Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder

Different ingredients, different taste and consistency, therefore different recipe results.

Thanks for pointing those out. You're right, it would taste too different.

I kind of asked because I only had the buffalo version at the the moment.

I'll get the original one and try this.

So, Arun, you're saying you got buffaloed? :D

Chris, thanks for posting this up. I've been contemplating making a chili honey for a while, this would certainly be a short cut.

I like how this would be used with veggies.

What veggies would work best? Green ones like asparagus, peas, green beans, Brussels sprouts?

Other things like onions, bell peppers?

Buddy of mine had chilied honey drizzled over a brick oven pizza w/ jalapenos on Monday night, said it was awfully good.

Anything that would profit from sweet & heat should be good.

Short answer: No, not if you want to make the recipe as intended.

Long answer:

Frank's Buffalo contains: Distilled Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Salt, Water, Canola Oil, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Natural Butter Type Flavor, Garlic Powder

Frank's RedHot contains: Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder

Different ingredients, different taste and consistency, therefore different recipe results.

I just bought some Crystal hot sauce today for a different recipe. While at the store, I compared its ingredients to Frank's Red Hot. They are the same, minus the garlic powder. Do you think Crystal could work in your spicy honey recipe?

There was a "Crystal Garlic" hot sauce variety too, but I decided to try regular Crystal this time, since it was my first time making what I'm about to make.

Also, what did you eat with your spicy honey? Salad dressing is about the only regular thing I use honey for.

Do you think Crystal could work in your spicy honey recipe?
Not my recipe, it's Cook's Illustrated's recipe. No idea how substituting another brand will change the taste.

what did you eat with your spicy honey?

I did not eat the spicy honey, I just posted the recipe in case someone would be interested. Cook's suggests serving it over roasted vegetables...grilled veggies would be good, too.

Back