When your WSM is starting to be seasoned good.....

MartinB

TVWBB All-Star
When your cooker is starting to be seasoned good...

The lid sticks so tight via grease when cool that you can lift the whole smoker shell by top handle.

That is just about truth! In case you're asking a question, I recall a thread on this topic within the last year or so. Some people store their WSM with an object sandwiched between the lid and base... a wooden skewer for instance. I started wiping the edges of my lid and base lip after a smoke and I think it helps some. When it's really stuck I cannot separate it if I just lift up from the handle but if I lift up and give it a horizontal wack with my fist near the base it will free itself.

When your cooker is starting to be seasoned good...

The lid sticks so tight via grease when cool that you can lift the whole smoker shell by top handle.

Mine does that almost all winter long, but I am pretty sure it is caused by cold temps outside and not grease. I have had to open the charcoal door and toss in 7 or 8 lit briquettes to thaw it enough to get the lid off.

Mine does that almost all winter long, but I am pretty sure it is caused by cold temps outside and not grease. I have had to open the charcoal door and toss in 7 or 8 lit briquettes to thaw it enough to get the lid off.
That’s pretty hard core buddy!
I give my lid a seasonal dip in my grate cleaner pan before putting it away, just a quick one and a paper towel swipe which seems to allow me to remove it without too much fight...usually.

Back