All Natural Briquettes/Lump Charcoal (Oak/Hickory) with Cherry Wood

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Has anyone cooked with all natural briquettes or lump charcoal using only Cherry Wood? Since the all natural charcoal is a combination of Oak and/or Hickory wood, what was the flavor outcome of your cook? Was the smoke mild?

No cherry tree for me, so have not tried it yet. You could always try some cherry with briquettes and let us know what you think though.

Sorry BruceS, I guess I don’t understand your question.
I use KBB and cherry a lot, great results but, I’m not sure what you are really asking.
“All natural” is not really recognized as a legitimate qualifier, the semantics of which I will defer to the more learned members or the USDA, FDA, ICC, ASCAP, BMI, FDA, KMA or whatever alphabet soup constrictatory federal agency can make anyone confused.

Whatever wood is used in the making of the lump, the flavor is gonna be subtle ( besides Mesquite lump or Basques maple )
So Cherry and Oak or Hickory work very well. I sometimes mix all three on pork.

Tim

How do you keep the lump charcoal from falling through the grate as you cook an before the lump is spent? I have a WSM smoker.

Last edited:
<scratches head> I have a gravity fed smoker, the charcoal chute holds about 15 lbs of natural lump. The grate spacing is about 1/2" openings. I don't have a problem with charcoal chips falling through. Even when starting with an empty chute, there's practically nothing that falls through to the firebox below the grate.

With my standard 18" WSM, I rarely lose bricks thru the charcoal grate. I get a few mostly burned bricks if I've been kicking the dust off at end of a smoke cycle. Not a problem.

This is what I did http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html#lump and then with good Lump I don't have a problem. I bought a bag of lump at the local grocery store ( My very first go at Lump) that I didn't like. Some of the pieces were very large, some were just right but about 25% of the bag was really small and some was just powder. I don't remember the brand but I would recognize the bag. The stuff I am using now is Cowboy brand, and seems to be nice stuff so far.

I had the same problem with lump. I found it also depends on the lump you buy. I now buy royal oak and I feel the bag to see if it's been banged up into little pieces. I also use kbb around the edges. I get the taste of using the lump and the longevity of the kbb.

Back