The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Moving w/WSM

TVWBB Super Fan

Question Moving w/WSM

I'm in the early stages of planning for a move and wanted to get some advise on how to move my grills and WSM. The last time I moved I only had an 18" kettle and was able to put it in the back of my SUV. This time I've got two kettles (18" & 22") and an 18" WSM and no flexibility to make multiple drives between locations, so they're going to have to go in the U-Haul w/everything else!

So, the question is: What kind of prep work should I do to get everything ready to go, and how should I plan to pack these precious cookers? For instance I'm thinking I'll take all of my cooking grates, zip tie them together, and put them in cardboard "box". But do I need to disassemble the kettles? Power-wash (or otherwise remove all the "gunk" from) the WSM? Sell them and buy new when I get where I'm going?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
    -Brian
    18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 18.5" OTG-ish (Modified from OTS)

I would shrink wrap the lids to the mid section and bowl's and ratchet strap or bungee them to the U haul walls.
    Good luck on your move!

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!