Smoked trout?

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I saw frozen trout the last time I was at Costco.

Can it be smoked on the WSM? Will it turn out good?

It's probably been more than 8 years since the last time I cooked fish.

Is there a recipe and/or video I can follow?

You might need a basket of some sort to keep the fish from falling apart.

I have never smoked fish, but I have grilled them in my kettle using a wire basket with a long handle. Some say alder is the best wood for fish, but I have never seen or tried it, or any other smoke wood with fish.

Last edited:
Not really as I have only smoked them on the gas stove (in a wok, lined with aluminium foil).
I don't see why it wouldn't work on the WSM.
Bit of oil on the outside of the fish, so it doesn't stick to the grate.
Or maybe use a second grate perpendicular to the first, so there are no big holes (or maybe even a colander?).
I wouldn't smoke it too long. Fish cooks quite quick

Not really as I have only smoked them on the gas stove (in a wok, lined with aluminium foil).
I don't see why it wouldn't work on the WSM.
Bit of oil on the outside of the fish, so it doesn't stick to the grate.
Or maybe use a second grate perpendicular to the first, so there are no big holes (or maybe even a colander?).
I wouldn't smoke it too long. Fish cooks quite quick

What temperature do you think I should aim for, and about how much time?

Any seasoning, or is it fine the way it is with a little bit of oil?

If I remember correct, I didn't use any seasoning for trout (I love smoked trout).

As I cooked it on the stove, I have no real idea about temperatures and time.
I would just fire up the WSM, see at what temperature she likes to run, add some wood and check after 15-20 minutes. Mind you, that's not from experience, just a guess

If I remember correct, I didn't use any seasoning for trout (I love smoked trout).

As I cooked it on the stove, I have no real idea about temperatures and time.
I would just fire up the WSM, see at what temperature she likes to run, add some wood and check after 15-20 minutes. Mind you, that's not from experience, just a guess

Thanks.

Should I use water in the pan?

I would just use your smoker as you normally do.
For me that means in summer I use water in the pan, In winter I don't (just because I can't keep the temperatures down in summer)

Buy a couple of trouts, try one system with one of them, see if you like it and make changes (or not) for the next trout. They won't take long to cook, so it will be some easy experimenting :)

Forgot to mention, we like this with grilled fish, although I've never tried it on trout...

iu

I bought the trout from Costco. It was packed today.

I plan to smoke it on Wednesday.

There's 5 fish, about 3.5 lbs.

What do I do after I smoke it? Do I have to cut or scale it? Or can I eat it just like that?

Does anyone have a good video to watch, for how to do this?

Also, what's a good serving size? 8 oz? 12 oz?

Just check the fish and you probably fine it will have been gutted and scaled.
If not, then do it before cooking.

I would oil the grate a bit and not use a pan.
Put the fish on the grid and leave it lying where it is. When done, take out the grid and the carefully remove the fish.
You might loose some pieces of skin, but that's not a train smash.
If you have a spare grid, then oil that one and put it perpendicular on the other. Again, try to avoid moving the fish while cooking.

Frankly, I think you are making it more complicated thatn it is. Just give it a try. It will be fine :)
In the worst case it sticks to the grid. It will still taste OK

Put the fish on the grid and leave it lying where it is. When done, take out the grid and the carefully remove the fish.
If you have a spare grid, then oil that one and put it perpendicular on the other. Again, try to avoid moving the fish while cooking.

Frankly, I think you are making it more complicated thatn it is. Just give it a try. It will be fine :)

Thanks for the post.

Does anyone use any ketchup or tartar sauce?

The last time I made fish, which was 8+ years ago, I made some kind of lemon dill sauce, that the recipe called for.

Back