Lodge Cast Iron Griddle

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Found me a nice one for 10.00!

It is reversible with ridges on the back side.

I'll try my hand at some smashed burgers after I find a decent spatula.

6-30-18%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! No need to wait - I've used a big beer stein to smash the burgers before (also used my bare hands but the hot grease comes through......not a good idea)

I have never seen that model of Lodge griddle. Looks nice

Thanks, Larry.

Not sure what the holes are for. At first, I thought they were grease outlets, but they don't appear to be.

What's the reverse side for? Grill marks?

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry.

Not sure what the holes are for. At first, I thought they were grease outlets, but they don't appear to be.

What's the reverse side for? Grill marks?

The holes are meant to be hand holds, and yes the ridged side will give you grill marks. IMO on the ridged side it's a great substitute for when you cannot grill outside and beats some of the pretender products.

"Definitely! Might wanna cover it with a couple layers of foil"

Why? those trowels are typically plain mild steel and all they need a little seasoning. Some of the best cookware is made from the same stuff BTW https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005U93RYW/tvwb-20 so why put something nasty over it that can rip or lose little bits. No issue with the plain steel

For anyone interested, I bought this same griddle at Costco last week, $29 including a couple of plastic scrapers, and silicone rings for making perfectly round eggs.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I bought this same griddle at Costco last week, $29 including a couple of plastic scrapers, and silicone rings for making perfectly round eggs.

That is a good deal.

Walmart wanted $50.00 for a Lodge griddle alone.

Those trowels are typically plain mild steel and all they need a little seasoning. Some of the best cookware is made from the same stuff BTW https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005U93RYW/tvwb-20 so why put something nasty over it that can rip or lose little bits. No issue with the plain steel

Thanks for the advice. It's certainly worth a try. It might even work as a flipping tool too.

Getting back to the griddle, it will not fit my 18" kettle, so I'll have to purchase a 22" kettle if I want to use this over charcoal. Speaking of charcoal, is that a bad idea considering how hot charcoal can get? I cracked a pizza stone a while back using it with charcoal.

Last edited:
No worry's about cracking the griddle just don't drop cold liquid on it if really hot,holes are to hang it with,more control of it if it was solid instead of a hole just my thoughts on them

Thanks!

The L9OG3 lists at $25.50, so it can probably be had at discounted prices.

I have a cheap chinese oval stove-top griddle with handle, but it is arched in the center. (poor workmanship)

Looks like my Lodge griddle is still in production...

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/double-play-reversible-grill-griddle.asp

No worry's about cracking the griddle, just don't drop cold liquid on it if really hot. Holes are to hang it with, more control of it if it was solid instead of a hole. Just my thoughts on them

I called Lodge, and they said using it over charcoal should be no problem. Still, it has to be shock to the cast iron when removing the lid of a kettle grill, but not enough to cause cracks I assume.

Thermal shock from removing the lid is not goi g to be any kind of problem, it would be pulling the griddle off and slapping it with cool water that would give you a problem. Really, it’s designed to hold heat consistently for a fair length of time. I have an old Coleman griddle that’s pushing fifty years old. Dad bought it new when I was little kid and we camped in the Chevy “Greenbriar” van that he’d converted for very comfortable camping, I wish I still had it!

My local Costco has had them for $35 for a couple months. I thought they looked like something that was likely to go on sale so I put off getting one. Might have to get one at that price.

All set to go for smashburgers...

7-6-18%20002.jpg

Maybe I should call them brickburgers.

For what it's worth, the trowel had some embedded rust on both sides, and I removed it by soaking it in white vinegar. I was skeptical at first, but the vinegar really did its job. After the first hour or so of soaking, rust particles began to accumulate in the soaking container. Some rust had to be scrubbed off with a scouring pad, but I'm almost certain a longer soak would have remedied that.

I think I'll soak my grill's hanging basket next.

Last edited:

Back