ThermoPop?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
I received a ThermoPop in the mail this week, and while I was going through the included product catalog, I saw this...

https://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

Wouldn't this be a better buy considering the readout is easier to view (perpendicular to the probe)? It also has an adjustment screw for calibration, although I don't think the digital readout is backlite like the ThermoPop.

I have both types as depending on what you're temping can make it easier to read. And when you're dealing with bi-focals it gets even more fun

There's a place for both types. I have the RT600C that reads from the side like the TermoPop and also a RT301WA that reads from the top. I tend to use the top reading one more but I do use both. The biggest issue for me is the smaller display on the RT600C makes it hard for these old eyes to read. A backlight would also be a big plus.

If you ever need to change the batteries in these, be very careful when taking them apart. I ruined a RT301WA because I didn't realize there were very fine wires going from the display to the probe portion and I must have damaged one of them when pulling it apart.

The ThermoPop seems like a good thermometer from my limited tests, but I probably would have opted for the top read unit had I known.

I guess one can adapt with a little practice.

The jelly beans were good. :cool:

Advantages of ThermoPop, some already mentioned:

• Bigger display digits.
  • Display rotates depending on position.
  • Backlit display.
  • Faster temp readings, just 3-4 secs.
  • Greater temp range, -58 to 572°F.
  • Slightly more water resistant, with IP66 rating.
  • Comes in fun colors!

But RT301WA is slightly more accurate, can be calibrated, and is NSF certified for food service.

If you're sticking thermometers down into pots of chili or soup, the top display is an advantage. For anything you grill or barbecue, I think you'll find the ThermoPop works great and is not a compromise.

I guess I'll have to probe meat from an angle so I can better read the display. I guess I'm just used to the old analog dial thermometers that sit perpendicular to the probe.

Update:

I'm liking the ThermoPop more and more. I did beef tenderloins, a porterhouse steak, and two premium thick-cut pork chops on my Silver C yesterday, and the thermometer helped me to make quicker decisions when it came to pulling the meat. Dinner was sensational - which included grilled corn, grilled romaine, and a reduced-sugar kale salad. (I know, I know, this post is worthless without pictures :cool:)

Update:

I'm liking the ThermoPop more and more. I did beef tenderloins, a porterhouse steak, and two premium thick-cut pork chops on my Silver C yesterday, and the thermometer helped me to make quicker decisions when it came to pulling the meat. Dinner was sensational - which included grilled corn, grilled romaine, and a reduced-sugar kale salad. (I know, I know, this post is worthless without pictures :cool:)

I love my dot with all the different probes i have. I use it for brewing beer and cooking. Great quality. Loved the thermapen until i dropped it into a boiling vat of beer!!! DOH. May have to consider one of the pops!

Last edited:

Back