Texas EggFest

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
A Green Egg-owning friend invited us to EggFest, which is a big meetup and competition for the BGE cult. It was held at Camp Ben McCullough, which is a shaded venue just across the road from the Salt Lick in Driftwood, Texas. It felt a little like cheating on my WSM, but we were curious. For $40, you could eat all the competition barbecue you could handle, plus all the beer you could drink. It was sponsored by BGE and featured live music, about 40 competitors and a dozen or so cooking equipment vendors. They also had BGE cooking demos in a big pavilion. I would guess that close to 1,000 people showed up for the fun.It was a great event with a terrific vibe and some damn good barbecue.

Of course, there was a lot of smoked brisket and pulled pork, but some competitors offered homemade sausage, various chicken dishes, grilled meats, appetizers and desserts. Since it started at 10:00am, we were stuffed and hammered by 1:00. I kept thinking that it's a shame that we don't have events like this for WSM owners. I understand that there are EggFests all over, not just in Central Texas.

We all know how expensive the BGE is, but it seems like the company invests some of that profit in events like this that involve their customers. I haven't considered an Egg due to the price, but have to admit, this event started a twinge of desire.

Here's a shot of one section of the party, just outside the beer garden. Everyone is having a good time.

Jeff

EggFest 2018 by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Yeah, BGE owners really enjoy these events, but it takes $$$ and company backing to produce something at this scale.

Yeah, BGE owners really enjoy these events, but it takes $$$ and company backing to produce something at this scale.

I was impressed by the BGE company support. BGE supplied the cookers (new), the pop-ups and team signs to all the competitors. The cookers (2 per competitor; about 80 total) were offered for sale at 20% off. I understand that they were nearly all sold before the event began. Weber could learn a lesson or two here.

Jeff

Thanks for sharing that Jeff. Heck, I'd of gone too. I think I'd have gotten my $40 worth, probably in beer alone! I know that "twinge" you mentioned.

Thanks for sharing that Jeff. Heck, I'd of gone too. I think I'd have gotten my $40 worth, probably in beer alone! I know that "twinge" you mentioned.

That "twinge" sits in my driveway with a cover on it. Good thing I got it pre-owned (never used) for just $300. I think it is a total pain to use. Any of my Weber products are so much easier and faster to cook on.

This is an area that Weber could improve on. But these days they act more like a holding company than people really interested in promoting their product while
getting involved with those who use them. Kind of sad really.

Back