Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Q220 Flame level...

Bumping an old thread here, but thanks for the torch tip cleaner suggestion.

Had a wild hair about immersing the cast iron grates in hot oil, on occasions, to prevent rust. Does that sound doable?

By the way, are these grates porcelain coated?
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

Yes, the grates are porcelain coated. They are better than some of Weber's other porcelain coated cast iron, but eventually do start to chip.

I am not an expert on seasoning, but if you can get any rust off, you can season just like it was raw cast iron. I have always coated with Crisco and put in the oven. Your idea might work well, too.

If it gets to a point that pieces are chipping off with any regularity, I am afraid that you probably are looking at a new set of grates. Removing ALL the porcelain coating sounds like a good idea, but in practice is a pretty hard, time consuming job.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Yah, once the coating wears off, they start to rust and that makes the chipping and flaking all the worse. Plus the fact that the grates are much less thick than the Genesis grates, they rust and crack pretty quick.

There are a couple outfits making aftermarket grates that look pretty good and they are significantly cheaper than regular Weber grates: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...MFJYVT/tvwb-20
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Wonder why they (Weber) don't just use plain cast iron grates to begin with.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

I can think of two reasons. First, they are prettier and probably help to prevent food sticking. It takes a while on CI grates to get a good seasoning so that stuff won't stick so bad.
    Second, I think it helps prevent rust which would probably be an issue with how the average griller treats their CI grates. Also, these grates are not as bulky as regular grates and will corrode to a point they will break fairly quickly unless they are cared for.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB Platinum Member LMichaels's Avatar
    On the older Q's they used a different enameling process and they were MUCH better but now as they cheapen everything they make to sub par quality levels they've gone to a simple top coat process on the enamel. They're fine as long as you don't subject them to hard scraping or sudden temp changes i.e. putting frozen burger patties on a screaming hot grill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345