They're going to arrest me!

The IRS, FBI or the Police department don't call, they just show up and arrest you.
Our future DIL was in tears over one of those calls. I told her to hang up cause it's a scam.

Tim

Amazing that people fall for this stuff, but they do.
There are some people, like my mother, who just can't grasp the idea that someone would blatantly lie to them. They assume virtually everything they hear is the absolute truth. My mother would be in a panic over a call like that. There was a scam not long ago claiming to be the IRS. I had a very difficult time convincing Mom that the IRS does not make phone calls demanding money. She finally believed me when I reminded her of the IRS, without warning, cleaning out the bank accounts of someone we know. I told her that was what the IRS did when they really wanted money from you.

I can't say on this forum what I REALLY think about these scum who prey on others!
Someone tried to scam Pammi using our late son as bait! Someone called and said that Les had taken out a loan and put Pammi as cosigner. And that if she didn't come up with a money order for $3000 real quick, they were going to freeze our accounts!
Naturally, she hung up and called me right away. I told her that a "lawyer" can't do that. It takes a judge or the IRS to do something like that. I then told her to call our bank and verify that.
Holy wow, was she mad as you know what when she called me back about 5 minutes later! I told her to tell them that we'd send a money order as soon as we got a statement in the mail!
It's totally infuriating that @#$$*&&%$ like this would prey on a grieving mother! I hope their own mother answers an e-mail from a Nigerian prince!

And the (other than it being funny) reason I posted this was we need to remind our older relatives (and younger too) that these creeps exist and that if they get these kinds of calls to check with friends and relatives as to how they should handle the issue.

Tis the season.

And the (other than it being funny) reason I posted this was we need to remind our older relatives (and younger too) that these creeps exist and that if they get these kinds of calls to check with friends and relatives as to how they should handle the issue.

Tis the season.

Very true. I'm thankful that my 85 year old mother in law is pretty sharp and ignores this stuff, as do my parents. But the sheer volume of stuff like this that I get hit with on a daily basis is very concerning. And I read about people in my community who are my age and should be more in tune that fall for this kind of thing constantly. The phone is always ringing - and it is usually a bad person on the other end.

Two years ago we got the call from our "grandson" who was in jail in Vegas and needed bail money. I talked to him for about 5 mins. I first asked him WHICH grandson he was. He replied "You know, grandpa". I said, "no, I do not. What's your name?" Again, he changed the subject. I then asked how he got to Vegas, how long he'd been there, what he did to end up in jail and if he called his mother first? Anyway, to make a long story (slightly) shorter, my wife got angry at the guy and told him we knew he was trying to scam us because both of our grandsons died years ago. Then he hung up.

Back