Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weber Q grills and comparing the Q3200 to the Q200

BTW someone on here was carrying on about how their Q2xx was not heating up enough. For the record (this is with my Q220 with factory hood thermo) I was using it about 3 nights ago (was a balmy but a little rainy 35 above) shorts and t-shirt weather for me. Anyway I had it in the garage out of any wind and ran it full bore for about 30 minutes to burn off some salmon remains. It topped off at 475. It is a perfectly functioning Q220 running on a 20lb tank. Bottom line they just don't get THAT hot. But, than, it really doesn't need to. At that registered temp it's too hot to leave anything on it. Even when I sear a steak with it I drop it down to medium output or instead of a "sear" I get a "black". Brown food tastes good black does not.
    Long as I am on the soap box another point. While I may have my issues with Weber (lack of support, making things in China, etc) I will say that as it comes out of the box the Q products are as well designed and engineered and executed as ANYTHING they've ever done/made.
    Case in point look at the OEM grates. First they're VERY heavy cast iron. As good a surface as you can get for cooking BAR NONE! Well I have heard copper beats it but I cannot afford copper LOL and copper cannot stand the heat of a grill as it conducts too quickly. The grate is also "designed in" to the proper function of the grill. Ever notice a v shaped raised area in the casting. Somewhat circular shaped on the smaller ones and circular with a bar down the middle on the 3XX series? That is what functions as the burner tent to keep a majority of drippings from directly hitting and clogging the burner.
    Now we have these products i.e. grill grates. First made of aluminum. A very poor material for grill performance due to conducting heat away too quickly. This might work decently in say a saute pan but not for grilling performance. Add to the fact the product does not have a built in burner tent as does the oem cast iron grate(s). One of the reasons professional chefs use carbon steel, stainless steel and cast iron so much is because of how well they sear, and can hold larger amounts of heat releasing it more slowly. Aluminum has it's place though. I use bare anodized aluminum for some cooking (primarily a quick saute) because they heat up ast and release heat fast. I even take my heavy grade aluminum pans out to my grill(s) and use them on the grates when I want to saute something along side whatever I am cooking when I don't have a side burner handy.
    Secondly they don't have built in burner protection. So you'll have (when the holes aren't clogged) drippings falling directly onto the burner and clogging it more rapidly than the OEM cast iron. And last on the Q anyway you have to work REALLY hard to get a bad flare up. If you cook anything approaching "normal" they will never flare up. Heck even most decent grills kept in good repair fall into this category.
    Well off the rant

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    I had a good laugh about that one. You may have seen an earlier post where I did a grill restoration for the cafeteria of our small local College. The wonderful ladies that run it seem to take great pride in keeping their kitchen ovens and ranges in well maintained and clean condition. But give them a gas grill and they seem to think it has a bottomless grease tray and a hidden self-cleaning feature!

I am hoping they better understand now and will do better with the nice Weber I did for them!
    I have long ago learned that any time you "give" something to someone else, it become theirs. And while you many value it more than they do, you gave up the right to that item. Children taught me that.

I too have given away a grill that I rehabbed to a buddy. Luckily, he is good about maintenance. But, I have sold several grills that I rehabbed and they always ask "how long will the grates or the flavo bars or the burners last". I tell them, as long as you basic maintenance after each cook and then a couple good cleanings each year, they will last 5 times longer than if you don't do any maintenance. Then they ask for specifics, but as soon as I start to tell them, the zone out and just want to load up the grill and go. Happens every time.

This is why there are so many nice older Weber grills out there for us to grab for pennies.
    Last edited by Bruce; 01-12-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    BTW someone on here was carrying on about how their Q2xx was not heating up enough. For the record (this is with my Q220 with factory hood thermo) I was using it about 3 nights ago (was a balmy but a little r.ainy 35 above) shorts and t-shirt weather for me. Anyway I had it in the garage out of any wind and ran it full bore for about 30 minutes to burn off some salmon remains. It topped off at 475. It is a perfectly functioning Q220 running on a 20lb tank. Bottom line they just don't get THAT hot. But, than, it really doesn't need to...

Long as I am on the soap box another point. While I may have my issues with Weber (lack of support, making things in China, etc) I will say that as it comes out of the box the Q products are as well designed and engineered and executed as ANYTHING they've ever done/made...

Now we have these products i.e. grill grates. First made of aluminum. A very poor material for grill performance due to conducting heat away too quickly. This might work decently in say a saute pan but not for grilling performance. Add to the fact the product does not have a built in burner tent as does the oem cast iron grate(s). One of the reasons professional chefs use carbon steel, stainless steel and cast iron so much is because of how well they sear, and can hold larger amounts of heat releasing it more slowly. Aluminum has it's place though. I use bare anodized aluminum for some cooking (primarily a quick saute) because they heat up ast and release heat fast. I even take my heavy grade aluminum pans out to my grill(s) and use them on the grates when I want to saute something along side whatever I am cooking when I don't have a side burner handy.
    Secondly they don't have built in burner protection. So you'll have (when the holes aren't clogged) drippings falling directly onto the burner and clogging it more rapidly than the OEM cast iron. And last on the Q anyway you have to work REALLY hard to get a bad flare up. If you cook anything approaching "normal" they will never flare up. Heck even most decent grills kept in good repair fall into this category.

Well off the rant
    Larry, I definitely agree the Q200/2000 series grills have all the horsepower you need for searing, grilling, etc. I can highly recommend them. In fact, based on my experience so far, they are easier to cook on then the Q300/3200 which maybe has almost too much umphh. I am learning to back off on the heat a little more with the 3200 I recently picked up, similar to what you mention regarding your Q.

I have come to really respect these Q grills that I used to dismiss as a novelty compromise. I think I understand a little bit about how Weber let you down with your Summit, but I appreciate that you can give them credit for this line of grills where the designers did an outstanding job of making a grill so good people want to use it at home and not just as a tailgate/picnic substitute.

Regarding the GrillGrates product, I guess the jury is out for me right now. After my tax season I am going to try extra hard to do an objective side by side comparison. However, I believe you are absolutely correct that substituting these (or stainless rod grates) for the OEM cast iron ones on any Q grill is not a good idea for the design reasons you clearly laid out. I think many people who use GrillGrates on their Qs actually place them on TOP of their cast iron ones. This would at least prevent the grease dropping on the burners. Whether they are an improvement or detriment when used this way seems to depend on the opinion of the person using them. I hope I can do a video comparison that might shed a little more light by using more objective comparisons.
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I have long ago learned that any time you "give" something to someone else, it become theirs. And while you many value it more than they do, you gave up the right to that item. Children taught me that.

I too have given away a grill that I rehabbed to a buddy. Luckily, he is good about maintenance. But, I have sold several grills that I rehabbed and they always ask "how long will the grates or the flavo bars or the burners last". I tell them, as long as you basic maintenance after each cook and then a couple good cleanings each year, they will last 5 times longer than if you don't do any maintenance. Then they ask for specifics, but as soon as I start to tell them, the zone out and just want to load up the grill and go. Happens every time.

This is why there are so many nice older Weber grills out there for us to grab for pennies.
    Hey Bruce, I wasn't meaning to complain or begrudge the recipients of my donation. I just think it is so funny that these ladies would never let their kitchen equipment be neglected but assume grills can be used again and again with no maintenance! They are wonderful ladies, so that is why I fixed up a better one for them this time. I was just by there the other day and the head cook's HUSBAND was out there using the Genesis 300 I donated. He at least knew he had to clean up after cooking a bunch of rounds of grilled chicken with BBQ sauce!
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12