Pulled Pork Re-Heat Question.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Hi Folks.

At the moment I've got a 6lb boneless rolled pork shoulder in the WSM.
The thing is, it won't be consumed until the 27th December at a friends get-together. I have to do it today because Xmas Day & Boxing Day are booked solid.
Once pulled, what is the best way to keep it so it doesn't dry out, & what is the best way to re-heat it two days later without it drying out? I don't want to freeze it.
Thanks for your advice in advance.

Have a very Merry Xmas Everyone.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? If so, I seal my PP and place it in a pot of boiling water for a short time in order to re-heat. If you do not have a sealer, I'll defer to others' input on re-heating, as I've never used any other method. I have sometimes collected some of the original juices and placed in the bag before sealing. There have also been times where I used chicken broth if I didn't have access to the juices (I read elsewhere that chicken broth is neutral enough that it does not alter the flavor). But I like my PP a little on the dry side and sometimes do not add any juice to the bag. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

It's only a couple of days, so you could just whole, wrap it tight in foil, then plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. Take the plastic off on the 27th and reheat it in the oven to 140-150 internal and pull it just before serving. I've done that successfully in the past.

Jeff

For the time span you are working within I would pull it when it is done and simply set it in a plastic bag or plastic container. I would then reheat it in a crock pot and give it a good spritz with apple juice for moisture. I have used this method many times to reheat and always had good results.
If your were going to store it for several days to several months then I would definitely do as BFletcher recommends and use a vacuum sealer for the storage. I often spritz some apple juice into the bag before sealing.

I make a sauce out of the juices. I set the pot in the freezer to skim off the hardened fat. Then I heat it up and strain it through a nylon net.

Once strained, you can add more rub and a little sauce (not necessary IMO) and pour it over the pulled pork. Mix it in by hand and back to the fridge to get cold. Once cold I put it in vacuum bags and seal them until I need them. With the sauce hardened on the meat it will not be sucked up into the vacuum and mess with the sealing process.

As mentioned earlier, put the bags in cold water and reheat by boiling. How long it takes depends on how much meat is in a bag. I usually do a 5 minute boil per 1 pound of meat. With the bags sealed the juices are retained and will not dry out during reheating.

If you decide to pull and add juice without the bagging just seal up the container and reheat the entire pull in the oven.

Back