Soy Sauce Eggs

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
These look interesting - I saw where the BBQ pit boys did something similar but they used a full-strength soy sauce which seemed expensive for pickled eggs....this one uses just a few Tbsp.

soy-sauce-eggs.jpg

http://rasamalaysia.com/soy-sauce-eggs-shoyu-tamago/2/

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled eggs
2 cups water
2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

Method:

Make the hard-boiled eggs by boiling the eggs in hot water for 10 minutes. Crack and peel the shell off the eggs. Set aside.

In a small pot, bring the water to boil. Add the soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar. Transfer the eggs into the soy sauce mixture. Turn off the heat and let it steep in the mixture for an hour before serving.

Sounds interesting. Reminds me I have to make my hot pickled eggs before Christmas this year as it's been awhile. A couple of beers and pickled eggs and Barb makes me sleep in the garage. Because I become an SBD (silent but deadly) after eating them.:p

Kinda look like "Thousand Year old Eggs". Before I'd make that many, I'd do one (by doing the steeping in an amount of liquid suitable to put in a coffee mug).

I have to wonder how those would look if made into some egg salad? Funky color but great flavor I would hope.

A couple of beers and pickled eggs and Barb makes me sleep in the garage.

You don't have to explain that acronym to me Rich :)

Kinda look like "Thousand Year old Eggs". Before I'd make that many, I'd do one (by doing the steeping in an amount of liquid suitable to put in a coffee mug).

I think I'll make a sixer like the recipe calls for - won't be filling up the 1.25 gallon jug with ~48 eggs like I sometimes do with pickled eggs tho......... small trial batch...

I have to wonder how those would look if made into some egg salad? Funky color but great flavor I would hope.

Delicious I'm sure!

Last edited:
I just made the BBQ pit boys chicken pot bbq , a family favorite, and always toss some eggs in the pot and they always seem to go fast. I just saw this recipe you posted the other day too and am thinking of trying it soon.

I just made the BBQ pit boys chicken pot bbq , a family favorite, and always toss some eggs in the pot and they always seem to go fast. I just saw this recipe you posted the other day too and am thinking of trying it soon.

I think I saw that cook on the wolfe pit! I can't be the only person who misses your posts in the photo gallery.

I just started 12 of these- I looked for dark soy sauce at the store, and though there were 6-8 kinds of soy sauce, there was no dark soy sauce. I think I'm going to heavily increase the soy sauce : water ratio. I don't expect to keep them for much more than a week, I'll probably have to put them in a big jar in the fridge in the liquid as described. I'll try to post a pic & results.

I think I saw that cook on the wolfe pit! I can't be the only person who misses your posts in the photo gallery.

I just started 12 of these- I looked for dark soy sauce at the store, and though there were 6-8 kinds of soy sauce, there was no dark soy sauce. I think I'm going to heavily increase the soy sauce : water ratio. I don't expect to keep them for much more than a week, I'll probably have to put them in a big jar in the fridge in the liquid as described. I'll try to post a pic & results.

I don't have dark soy sauce either but I always seem have Hoisin or Oyster sauce laying around and thought I would use either of those as a substitute and not add the sugar

I don't have dark soy sauce either but I always seem have Hoisin or Oyster sauce laying around and thought I would use either of those as a substitute and not add the sugar

Good Idea! I just started heating the brine. I went with 2 cups water, 1 cup soy sauce, some hab sauce. I just added some oyster sauce & sesame oil!

edit: just had a taste, I pulled out the most mangled egg (11 made it into the brine) and it tastes great! There's some heat on my lips from the hot sauce, the slightest hint of oyster sauce, and a little sesame flavor! I spooned a little extra over it as I ate it & so far, I'm happy with the result.

Last edited:
The brine went all the way through the whites in just a couple days which is ~5x as fast as a traditional pickled egg. Doesn't seem to have got into the yolk yet.

My cousin & his wife & daughter came by - he LOVED them, the wife wouldn't touch them, and they were too hot for their daughter (~15 years old). I love them too! Would go great with rice but I just ate some with cauliflower and ranch.

22228564_10210460058999676_1694600910206362755_n.jpg

22282129_10210460058719669_3059920857967298830_n.jpg

22366829_10210460058479663_3916049667454722503_n.jpg

We are going to have to try this. My favorite thing to do with hard-boiled eggs is to put them in left over juice from a jar of pickled beets. I love eating the beets, so have the best of both worlds. ;)

Well, a search for Japanese BBQ Sauce led me to this thread, so does anyone else love HB eggs in the leftover jalapeno juice? Or dill pickle juice? I like red beet eggs but can't stand red beets. I gonna have to try the soy sauce & eggs!

Back