Curious could you pressure wash the inside of the firebox

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
I never see any posts on this but if you are not reselling the grill could you not spray the inside of the firebox with simple green and then use a pressure washer would seem to get most of the crud out but you people know way more than I do.

Brian,

With each grill I refurbish, I remove the burners, attach a 0 deg tip on my pressure washer wand, and spend 5-10 minutes blasting the loose and/or greasy crud off of the firebox.

The problem is, it's not enough. Most of the stuff is BURNED ON and not even the pressure washer (my pressure washer uses a commercial duty-rated Honda GX200 engine hooked up to a 3 GPM pump) can remove the crud.

By far the easier way is the angle grinder+wire cup brush.

Last edited:
J thanks I did use the wire brush to do mine since I have a pressure washer does it save some time to hit it like you do with the pressure wire then the cup brush.

Either pressure washer or simple putty knife to scrape out the majority of the crud and then angle grinder with wire cup brush. On rehab project grills, if the burners are in decent shape, I also suggest that you hook it up and run it on high for about thirty minutes or so to burn off all the grease and liquid goo that the previous owner left in there. I even put a sheet of tin foil over the cooking grates so the cook box gets extremely hot and burns everything to dust. If the grill is really bad, it will likely start a flare up, but that just helps to burn up all that grease in the bottom.

Then, hit it with the wire cup brush and angle grinder. If you are just trying to clean up a grill, the pressure washer is probably fine, but for resale, they love to see that shiny clean cook box.

" I even put a sheet of tin foil over the cooking grates so the cook box gets extremely hot and burns everything to dust. If the grill is really bad, it will likely start a flare up, but that just helps to burn up all that grease in the bottom."

Bruce, this is a great way to warp the fire box. At first Weber used to recommend this but than when my fire box warped the rep said "oh no you should NEVER do that". This was VERY early on after buying my Genesis II brand new in the early 90's so I know about warping the box first hand LOL

Larry, point taken, I guess I won't be doing that any more. Thanks for the heads up on that.
A good thirty minute plus burn on high (without tinfoil) will still do wonders to helping to clean up the grill.

The best results I ever got pressure washing was to get myself completely soaked and covered in little black pieces of soot. The firebox looked like I did hardly anything. It was just a big mess.

Yah, I think a simple $2 putty knife and 15 minutes is the best way to do a quick clean. If you really want to clean it, the angle grinder and wire cup brush are the next step.

Back