First Time Smoke on 18in WSM...We declare success!!!

Barry_A

Well, here's my "story" of our first smoke/cook on our new 18in WSM. We have decided we WERE successful!!

Some boring, pre WSM ownership info. I've been smoking on gas smokers for quite a while. We always felt what we cooked/smoked was very good. But, about a month or 2 ago, something came over me, and I wanted to try smoking with charcoal, I wanted to be a more "pure" pit grasshopper. So I researched and researched and researched...and then....I researched different charcoal smokers suitable for home use. Cut to the chase, all I read were good things about the WSM. If fit my budget and did not have a large "foot print", so 2 Mondays ago, I placed my order on Amazon for an 18inch WSM. I visited one at our local HD to touch and feel what I wanted to order.

WSM arrived last Tuesday, I put it together, then Wednesday I started to "burn it in" or start to season it. I was planning our first cook on it for yesterday, and was going to season it more on Saturday, but the weather scrapped that. After reading stuff on the TVWB saying that maybe seasoning was not completely necessary, (I also read how some "pro's say seasoning is needed) I went with, lets fire it up and see how she goes. So that was the plan.

For our first smoke I wanted to do something simple, that I felt we had less of a chance of screwing up, and went with a couple of slabs of baby backs, and one slab of spare ribs. Now, going into yesterday, I read and I planned and I read and I planned and I read and I planned...then after doing that, I read and I planned how the first smoke would go.

Was going with minion method to start coals, pretty full load in charcoal ring, going to use water pan bout 3/4's full, add wood, cover bring up to temp adjust vents to get to about 225, figured a 4-6 hour smoke for the ribs...cold beer....nice day....things are looking good when we started, but then, we started....oops.

Somehow through all my smoking stories, wife remained interested in what I was doing, she figured was good "therapy" for me, and in the end good eats for her. Though she wanted for me to bask in the glory of my first charcoal experience, she said she'd help if I needed her to....rut-roh.

So fire is going pretty good, put water bowl in place, I say, sure, fill the bowl up to about here (showing about where) with water from the hose, whups. She knda forgot she wasn't watering shrubs, so maybe had the force of the hose a bit too high, water splashed, I head some sizzling sounds I'm like, oh no....fire got wet. So take main smoker section with water bowl off, somehow without spilling more water, see how fire really is. But it seemed ok, was still smoking, but I decided "stirred" the charcoals around a lttle, all seemed ok, so put smoker section and water bowl back on, finished filling bowl, put lid back, sat back to wait for temps to come up, adjust to get to 225, toss on the ribs, and sit back and watch the magic happen.

Waiting for temps to come up, they were up, but only to like 252-267, something like that...thought they'd go higher....thought, maybe the water did drown out some coals....but....look around, top vent was completely closed...oops...again. So open that up....got to around 280 or so...said...ok, lets start trying to get this sucker down, adjusted vents, and without too much fussin, was able to maintain about 221-237 degrees...when I watched the Maverick ET-733. A couple of times I noticed temps would drop 8-12...but, no panic in this grasshopper. My approach was simply to pen the side door, stir the briquettes around a little with stick, close it back up, temps came back up....ahhhh....thats good now...back to the beer.

Now my other "mistake", was I put 3 slabs of ribs flat on the top grate....probably not the best idea, where that reared up was after cooking was over and I think had some extra grease drip down sides of smoker, wasn't too bad to clean up. And as the ribs cooked they did pull back some so less of an issue after a couple hours or so smoking. I had intended to start out with some rib racks I had in my gas smoker, but I had not used them much and they were rusted and corroded, so I pitched those, and have added a decent rib rack to my list of, what should I buy now for grilling and smoking. I know I could have "snaked" the ribs or something else to get them to fit, but I was stubborn and kept them flat.

But in the end, I decided to not wrap these ribs...kept track of temps, spritzed them every hour or so, basted them with a sauce I made, and at about 6 hours almost to the minute, those dudes were at around 180 degrees, and bending quite a bit, I declared, smoke off!! Took em off smoker, brought them inside on cutting boarding, covered them and let them rest for about 45 minutes before we cut them. Them babies were gooooood!!!

So, in conclusion, yea I know, this got kind of long winded, the WSM performed even with a few minor "faux pas" pretty much as expected, probably even more awesome with us not doing things quite right!! Looking forward to the next smoke..which may be in a day or 2 with a pork butt...almost can't wait!!!

Thanks for listening..

Sounds like a fun cook! Check out the Renouned Mr. Brown recipe on the home page for your Pork Butt. I've been using it for years, and I never get tired of it.

I spritzed them with a mix of apple and pineapple juice, with some apple cider vinegar mixed in with a dash or 2 of rub. Sauce was a simple bbq sauce of butter, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, onion and garlic powder, worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Great story. You'll learn what you should do and well, "I don't need to do that" ;) the next time.

First thing you should learn: don't overthink this. I know, first time is after all, the first time. Wanna do it right. Ok, first time is OVER.

Second, don't stir the coals as you describe. Once you get the 10-12 lit on top of the unlit DON'T TOUCH THEM. They can get along just fine without you messing with 'em. Maybe 3-4 hours in, you may need to GENTLY move some around either to get some air flow or move unlit closer to lit ones.

All stirring (the way you described it) does is stir up a LOT of ash that, with the air flow will drift UP onto your food.

Lastly, don't sweat the water. Once you assembly the (lit) fire, assemble the shell and place the empty bowl in the bottom. Then using a kettle, pot, (even your hose but on a gentle low flow) fill the bowl to about 1 1/2 inch from the top. THAT'S ALL. You won't need to refill at any time in a 5-6 hour smoke. Maybe with a longer (12-14hr) smoke but not likely.

Once you master the vents, you can switch over to no water but rather, use a foil-lined terra cotta saucer (I think mine is a 12") that fits nicely in the water bowl and no water.

As far as cleaning the grease, the only thing you need to clean is the meat grate(s) and the bowl when using water. Using the foiled saucer, just crumple up the foil and toss. Saucer should be nice and clean ;)

You did good on this first time with the WSM . Congrats .

Last thing: write down what you did, when you did it and what the results were. Do this for the first 3-4 smokes as you won't remember what you did or should have done when something goes wrong (temps too high, too low, etc).

:wsm:

Last edited:
....so 2 Mondays ago, I placed my order on Amazon for an 18inch WSM. I visited one at our local HD to touch and feel what I wanted to order.
Uggh. Amazon. Why didn't you just buy locally? Even the smaller Mom and Pops carry Weber around here.

ChrisBarb... Purchasing through Amazon is a good thing... so long as one uses the link to TVWBB so that this site receives some support from those purchases !!!

Well CB, not many mom and pop shops near where I'm at, just the big box stores, but I am a frequent Amazon shopper, so between gift cards and rewards points, my out of pocket costs were lower, and helped tvwb.

ChrisBarb... Purchasing through Amazon is a good thing... so long as one uses the link to TVWBB so that this site receives some support from those purchases !!!

How do you use that Amazon link at the top of the forum? After I click on it, what do I do so that this site receives support?

Arun...

After you click on it, if you are not automatically logged in (to your Amazon account), then log in. From there, it is just normal operation.

Thanks for the input and tips Len...I probably exaggerated a bit in my "story" but is pretty much how the first cook went, but I actually was striving to NOT overthink it!!

I am though looking at some point of either using the bowl without water with either a clay saucer or maybe even ceramic briquettes.....the sand thing I think I'll stay away from completely, but I'll wait until after a couple more cooks are in the books.

Again, thanks for the positive works, I'll see you around these boards!

Skip the ceramic briquettes. They'll get covered in drippings (soak it up? dunno but they will get covered) and the heat will never get high enough to clean the grease off them (unless you want to remove them after every smoke and put them in your grill and burn the grease off).

They are not an option.

Back