1997 Weber Summit 650 in red

I saw one similar to that (with less burners) on Craigslist recently - except it wasn't red.

I own that grill...a Weber Summit 450.

MDNvg7F.jpg

I rescued a stainless Summit 450 for $100 a few years ago. I read there was some concern about rust on the front of the firebox where the burners come through. Two of mine have some rust. Should I be very concerned?

I rescued a stainless Summit 450 for $100 a few years ago. I read there was some concern about rust on the front of the firebox where the burners come through. Two of mine have some rust. Should I be very concerned?

Well, as you probably read there's not much you can do to prevent it, and you can't buy a replacement firebox. If it becomes a significant concern, you can try to patch the affected area by overlaying it with a piece of stainless steel that's cut to size, or maybe doing something with J-B Weld ExtremeHeat to patch the area.

Chris how does it cook? I'm going to look at a 450 this week. I'm concerned about the firebox a little...bit I think I can fix it with some help...if it's not too bad

Mine cooks great, but runs hotter than the Genesis 2 I had before, so that took some adjusting to. Mine also has some unevenness in temp, as can be seen here. I've been very lucky with the firebox, no problem with mine. Some of the speednuts are deteriorating inside the firebox, I plan on replacing those this season.

Back