Pork butt

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
I did a butt. 16 hours total cook time. So done when probe slides in like butter and the bone easily slides away. Determining whether it is done or not is definitely an art form. I don't want to keep opening the cooker. I wrapped in peach paper at 180 and I thought it turned our great. I don't feel like you get the great bark with foil so I don't like it as much. Thank you for all of your feedback on the brisket cook. I just have to get a feel for when it's about done. Because I use a BBQ in and you have to take probe off and unwrap and then feel. So I want to get it down perfect. This cook turned our perfect. 6.5 pound pork butt 16 hours. I also have to say the Weber briquettes are a godsend. Kingsford blue I could only get 12 out and I need 15-20 for brisket. Weber lasts more than 20 hours. Great briquette. But I had the probe in at 180 then wrapped and put it back in at a slightly different spot and it read 170 when I put it back in cooker. A full 10 degrees difference. Oh we also made some phenomenal potatoes in the oven with for flakes. So good.

Right but I don't get the different temps of the probe in different spots? When do I know when to check if done. Because I have to open the smoker, take the sensor off and then unwrap and check. I can't keep doing that and opening the smoker. I mean it took about 15 hours so I guess after 15 hours check. And then check every 30 minutes I guess.

I keep a probe in the thickest part but start checking at 190 or so. I honestly will start checking butt probably closer to 200. Then I check about every 30 minutes.

Back