New Weber addict from North Carolina

Bill A

Hi all,
I've recently acquired my first 2 weber grills and am working on getting them both up to par. I'm not doing show room quality refurbs on them at the moment, initially just getting them up and going for daily use.

First one I picked up almost a year ago, Summit Silver B (4 burner, LP, no side burner) for $75, seller assured me it was fully functional and just needed frame section replaced and I was dumb and believed him. Ended up the burners were rusted out, had an incorrect inlet hose and had one side frame and the bottom piece that were solid rust held together with some black paint.. Replaced the burners and side frame, when doing so discovered that the bottom needed replaced. Did that and it was working nicely for a couple weeks until one of the control knobs caught fire during cooking about 1.5 weeks ago. Melted 2 of the knobs, so have to replace those. I have pulled the offending valve apart and all look good, I think the connection to the manifold may have been a little loos, going to clean and lubricate the valves and reassemble and see what it does. Not going to put new knobs on until I sort that issue.

Meanwhile, on July 4th, I saw a post for a free grill on a local facebook group and realized it was a Summit Gold D (6 burner, LP, Side burner, built in smoker burner and box, and rotisserie burner) and they were going to toss it if no one picked it up. I figured if nothing else it was a parts donor for my Summit Silver so I hurried and drove about 25 minutes away and was able to grab it. I haven't had a chance to go through it and really clean it up yet, but it appears to be a rust free frame and fire box, lid is in great shape, flavorizer bars are in use-able condition and at first glance the burners are in decent shape minus one cross-over that is missing. Only real thing wrong appears that the gas supply line has been chewed off and needs replaced.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do, but I've told the wife I'm pretty sure I'm going to fix up and keep both. She's thinks I'm nuts....

The short time I've been able to use the Summit Silver I've loved the even heating and the ease of heating and maintaining the heat. First thing I cooked on it was a bunch of steaks and I was able to easily raise the temp to 500+ and sear them, then backed the burners way down and let the temp drop slowly while they cooked. Unfortunately, a bunch of my eaters do not appreciate a good rare to medium rare steak so I had to overcook most of them, but I was able to cook a beautifully seared rare steak for myself that was just about perfectly done. Looking forward to seeing what else I can do with these grills.

Congrats on the free Weber, that's always a good thing. You can never have too many :)
Welcome to the Forum Bill

Welcome Bill! Congrats on both Summits. I rehabbed a Gold D6 a couple of years ago and it's an amazing grill. Kind of sad that I let a friend of mine buy it off of me. It was nice. Looking forward to seeing how your's turns out.

Welcome to the forum, Bill. :)

I used travel through Union County (to bypass Charlotte :eek:) on my many trips down east. Look forward to your posts.

Back