Help With Genesis 3100 Restoration

Joe Fanel

This thread has inspired me to restore my dad's old gas Weber grill. While I was taking it apart, I noticed that there is a hole in the firebox, most likely due to corrosion, see the attached photos. Is this a deal breaker for the restoration/ can it be repaired or is it even worth it? I'll attach other pictures. I would love to get this grill up and running again but do not know if it's worth the money.

JF

http://imgur.com/a/QW9GX

Last edited:
The hole in the firebox is pretty bad, but if you're doing this to have your dad's old grill up and running, one idea is to keep your eyes open on craigslist for a 1000 - 3000 with a good firebox. Usually, you end up with pretty good parts supplies from two grills to make one grill, and you can put money into things like flavorizer bars, burner tubes, etc.

Just be sure to replace the firebox with a "deep" firebox, the kind with 13 flavorizer bars.

Although even this is not completely necessary, it retains the integrity of the grill.

Joe,
THyde is dead on- There are plenty of good donors out there, most you can get for cheap or even free.
That's too nice of a grill not to restore.

Jeff

Joe,
THyde is dead on- There are plenty of good donors out there, most you can get for cheap or even free.
That's too nice of a grill not to restore.

Jeff

Thankfully, I was able to find a donor grill not too far away. Shout out to Jim in Illinois. The grill is coming along nicely. I will post some pictures up when finished. One thing I have not been able to find are the support brackets for the wood. The donor grill had a shorter shelf and does not match up to my grill. Has anyone found these? Also, any suggestions on what type/color of wood I should go with to match a black grill?

http://imgur.com/a/jU5SI

Joe,
Hopefully that donor grill will have the shelf brackets you need but if not and you don't mind spending a little money for stainless contact rcplanebuyer on e-bay. He custom makes the best stainless grates and flavorizer bar for our beloved Weber's.

He makes the bracket for each requested order. If not you can search the forum here as several have made them out of pieces of aluminum stock.

Jeff

Last edited:
Joe,
Hopefully that donor grill will have the shelf brackets you need but if not and you don't mind spending a little money for stainless contact rcplanebuyer on e-bay. He custom makes the best stainless grates and flavorizer bar for our beloved Weber's.

He doesn't the brackets, but he makes them per requested order. If not you can search the forum here as several have made them out of pieces of aluminum stock.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. You have been very helpful. I have some custom brackets on the way and plan on painting them black upon arrival. I'm still trying to decide what type of stain/wood to use to restore the shelves. I have read that Cedar or Redwood seem to be the favorites but what color stain would go best with an all black grill? Also, will a place like Home Depot cut this wood to size? I unfortunately do not have the power tools to do it myself.

For the right price you can have anything done! HD or Lowe's 's will cut wood for you, of course I'm always a "buy the tools, save long term" kind of guy.

Anyhow, let's see some progress!

Slainte,

Tim

Joe,
Several here have done the Lowes cedar wood fence panels and while not exact they are pretty darn close to the factory wood measurements. All you would have to do is have Lowes cut them to length.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenes-Ce...n-Actual-0-375-in-x-180-in-x-23-5-in/50074001

Jeff
Thank you Jeff. You have been very helpful. I have some custom brackets on the way and plan on painting them black upon arrival. I'm still trying to decide what type of stain/wood to use to restore the shelves. I have read that Cedar or Redwood seem to be the favorites but what color stain would go best with an all black grill? Also, will a place like Home Depot cut this wood to size? I unfortunately do not have the power tools to do it myself.

I am picking up my donor grill tomorrow. It will have the hanging/swinging shelf on it with the support rod which I need for my Redhead Genny 1000. I already bought a couple Cedar dog eared fence panels from Home Depot to replace the wood slats. They are just a bit thicker than the Weber wood slats, but that is perfect, because it will give me some leeway for sanding them down to a good finish. I just have to cut them to size. I have the tools that I need for that. Actually, the donor grill looks like it has the Durawood, so technically, I could just switch it all over to my grill and have durawood instead of real wood, but I think some real pretty cedar with a nice finish will look awesome.

For the right price you can have anything done! HD or Lowe's 's will cut wood for you, of course I'm always a "buy the tools, save long term" kind of guy.

Anyhow, let's see some progress!

Slainte,

Tim

The restoration is finally complete. If I were to do it again, I would go for the angle grinder and stainless steel cup to help remove any of the carbon buildup. I had to leave some behind on the side panels, lid, and fire box because it was just too tough to scrape off by hand. Simple Green and steel wool worked magic on my panels, knobs, and durawood. I like the look of natural wood and still may change it but for now this will do. A couple final additions will be the addition of a warming rack, if I can every get the build up off of the donor grill, and a new cover.

It certainly took more work than I expected and maybe a little more money but I am proud to say my dad's old grill is up and running. This forum has given me a sense of pride to be part of the Weber community. Thank you everyone for the help. The first set of burgers were the best I have ever grilled.

Joe F

http://imgur.com/a/cfRfh

Last edited:
Looks awesome to me. I am in the process of redoing a Genesis Redhead 1000 for myself. I also like the idea of replacing the wood which I am doing. I needed a donor grill for the swing table which was missing on mine and it has two durawood shelves as well as the swing table. I could have simply swapped them over, but I am just using the hardware and making my own wood slats and handle.

I removed the hardware from the swing table and top shelf today and sanded down the rust spots and then repainted them. However, now I realize I misplaced the end bracket on the swing table. I will just take one off the other top shelves, but I have been misplacing stuff like crazy lately. The swing table bracket, a Weber lid emblem that I had just painted and was going to redo and today I was looking for my battery minder to top off the camper battery and can't find that either. Denial of "old timers" disease is getting hard to do any more!!!!!

I can't wait to get my grill back together and get some meat on it.

Joe,

All that hard work paid off as your Dad's grill is now back in the game.

You should be proud of all your hard work.

Jeff

Bruce, none of us are getting any younger! Good that you have a hobby, my dad has a few, but he'd be well served to really get into something :)

Back