She Wont Stay Lit!

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
I just finished an 80's genesis 3 burner rehab, and went to do my first cook on it. Lit up fine, come back 5 minutes later and shes only at 170 degrees, unlit and i can smell gas. it started right back up with one click of the igniter. Did this again one more time before i gave up and went to my other grill. Any idea why she wont stay lit?

If it's Propane try disconnecting the line to the tank waiting a little bit and then reconnecting it. Make sure you open the tank slowly and then turn on the 3 valves.
Sometime the regulator "sticks" if you don't follow these steps.

Jeff

Thanks, ill try that and a different tank altogether. Just weird that it lights fine then stops. it also is the older quick disconnect fitting, not threaded, but it doesnt leak so i thought maybe it would be fine.

Do what Jeff said. Then, if that doesn't work, do as you suggest and try a different propane tank. If that doesn't work, then I would start looking at the manifold.

When you say "it lights fine", are you getting nice tall 1+ Inch flames out of the burners ?? Or just a tiny bit of flame, but enough to say "it's lit"?

When you say "it lights fine", are you getting nice tall 1+ Inch flames out of the burners ?? Or just a tiny bit of flame, but enough to say "it's lit"?

the second thing you said. not a ton of flame, not 1+ inch. but yes, it is lit with a low blue flame. I can also add that at first, there wasnt enough gas coming in to light all 3 burners. very light flame going through the connecting tube at the end, but eventually they all lit up. i figured the older regulator was slow to let 100% gas flow or something....

My old genesis 1000 came to me with that quick connect fitting. It was nothing but trouble. I switched it out for the standard fitting within a few months.

the second thing you said. not a ton of flame, not 1+ inch. but yes, it is lit with a low blue flame. I can also add that at first, there wasnt enough gas coming in to light all 3 burners. very light flame going through the connecting tube at the end, but eventually they all lit up. i figured the older regulator was slow to let 100% gas flow or something....

Definitely a gas flow problem. Could be the low flow safety as talked about above close all values on tank and turn off all grill burners. Disconnect propane tank. Reconnect, make sure burners are off then slowly open tank valve. After about a minute, turn first burner on and light it. See how the flame is.

If flame is still low, then you might have some blockage in tube (spiderweb?) or the regulator could be bad.

Brian, I see now where you said you went to your other grill. Take a look at the connector on the end of the hose assembly of each grill and see if they are the same. If so, take the hose off your working grill and connect it to the manifold of this grill. If it fires up nicely, you'll know for sure that the problem is this regulator and hose assembly.

Thanks all for the info, i did another run with the grill and it seemed to work muuuuch better that time around. One scary thing that happened, only once early in the test, i opened the hood and a small ball of fire came out! I opened very carefully after that. Got it up to 500 degrees but she never really pegged the therm like my other grill does. Its gotta be a regulator issue. I am planning to test it a few more times before i change the regulator, but it might be worth the swap just for ease of connecting.

I'd put a new regulator and hose assembly on it

If you still have the quick connect that regulator is probably well over twenty years old. I've had two of mine do exactly what yours is doing and both were bad regulators.

I'm late to this discussion. but a COMMON problem with gas flow has to do with insects making nests on hoses...clogging them.

If you can, blow out the hose before your first cook of the season and cap every connection off at the end of the season...if you have a season that is. :)

Back