Got a new (read: heavily used) WSM for Father's Day: And I'm so friggen excited!!!

BrianJ

TVWBB Member
My wife surprised me with a WSM for Father's Day! Woke up to it in the backyard, she had arranged a buddy to pick it up and deliver it to the house. Used, but I could careless! After trying to smoke ribs (semi-successfully) on the kettle a few times that I got not too long ago, you better believe that I'm beyond stoked for the smoker. The cooking grate was rusted, so I bought another one from Amazon and had it shipped, which got here on Saturday. Sunday was church, so I couldn't get anything going then, but today...today was going to be the day that I threw a shoulder on overnight for pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow night.

Was.

As I'm watching videos and reading articles all day yesterday, something strikes me as...off. Took me a good while just staring at their cookers until I realized that mine doesn't look like theirs does (there's a middle school level joke in there somewhere). Why is their meat so high up? Am I delirious? So, I go and look at my WSM last night - with a flashlight because I couldn't wait - and that's when I see that my WSM is missing parts. I don't have the grill straps like it ships with. And I only have one cooking grate. And my water bowl just sits on top of the charcoal chamber. I call around to BBQ places nearby and check my Lowe's & Home Depot websites, nobody sells them. I don't blame them, it's not a part that gets replaced all too often I presume. I'm kinda bummed out, but also bewildered at how the previous owners could cook like that. I checked the serial number, this is a 2006 model. So for 10+ years it was set up like that. Just befuddling to me.

Weber's site is funky and I can't find parts for the WSM either. I'm striking out all OVER the place. Any help would be hugely appreciated! The grill straps with the hardware is my main need, the other cooking grate isn't necessary just yet, I can get one of those anytime, but I need that water bowl off the charcoal chamber.

Call Weber direct and speak to the customer service department. If the part is available they will have it.

In a pinch you can get small corner brackets and bolt them on, holes may/ should already be there. I wouldn't worry about any coating on the brackets, your temps won't be near high enough to cause problems.

Back