? For people that cook with a foiled pan and a full load of meat.

Grant W

TVWBB Member
I just did a large Cook in my wsm and one of them ran low on water which means I burnt the hell out of my water pan in that one , so for people that run foil on a large cook all the fat that ends up in the foiled pan do you change the foil mid cook at all? I had a lot of fat in there from 4 butts dripping.

I foil, but never use water ! When foiling, only the bottom and sides touch the pan. For the top, I leave a depression to catch any drippings. It also sits above the inside pan surface. That airspace is important at reducing / eliminating the burning of the drippings. Two layers on the bottom and two on the top. Alternating bottom, top, bottom, top.

So you do a couple layers to make sure the foil doesn't rip? I have at least 2 inches of grease the imbedded itself to my pan.

I'm guessing Bob is going with the "belt and suspenders" approach by using two layers of foil. The sling is the thing, though...suspending the foil off the inside of the pan just a bit, leaving an air gap that insulates to minimize burning fat.

Grease almost always finds a way past the foil, through a pinhole in the foil or by salt corroding the foil and making its own hole or through the seam where you connect two pieces of foil to make it wide enough to fit. In my experience, any grease that gets past the foil seems to clean up pretty easy, it's when you have a pool of uncovered grease that you let bake down to nothing that you end up with trouble, and it sounds like that's what you've got.

Use a plastic or wooden implement to scrape out what you can. Soak in hot, soapy water several times and keep scraping. Eventually you can apply oven cleaner a couple of times. That and elbow grease and a non-scratch scrubber like a Dobie or a blue Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scrubber (NOT the green one) and you'll get it.

Good luck!

Use a plastic or wooden implement to scrape out what you can. Soak in hot, soapy water several times and keep scraping. Eventually you can apply oven cleaner a couple of times. That and elbow grease and a non-scratch scrubber like a Dobie or a blue Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scrubber (NOT the green one) and you'll get it.

Good luck!

Or next cook dump everything out of the pan, put the empty pan back in. Leave the door off so the temps come up and burn it off. Then just use a grill brush to knock the junk off. That's what I do to my pan at the end of a cook. Save the foil for wrapping the meat.

Hi Chris,

Never heard it called that... Will have to remember that ! Thx

I'm doing what Harry Soo teaches in his class. For soo many decades prior, I was one who relied on the unfoiled pan and water. Harry showed me the light. And it was good !

Harry's class was also the start of my BBQ enlightenment. Haven't stopped learning since !

Yep - double foil a-la Harry Soo all the way. Bite the bullet and get a big 500 foot roll of the 18" heavy-duty foil if you haven't. Smart and Final has them for about 23 bucks.

Back