Smoking salmon and low temps

How many owners smoke fish/salmon and have trouble controlling low temps. How much charcoal to you use to start? Indirect minion method used ? I need help because I turned $20 of salmon from costco to black strips, temp was around 200 in lid. Did all th right steps, rub, overnite, rinse and 30 minutes all black.

Thanks for any help.

Try a snake or fuse method for the charcoal, maybe 2 wide and 2high, with 6-8 lit coals on the end.
Should be able to keep it around 180 ish or lower, fish cooks fast so you'll have to watch it.
Real low "cold" smoked is a whole different game, not readily suitable for these smokers.

Mike, I smoke a lot of salmon in an old Brinkman that I use just for fish. I usually use about 8# of charcoal and cook for about 1 hour. I put 5 - 6 lit coals in the middle of the pile. I suspect two things. One, the lid thermometer is WAY off and or your fillets were too close to the fire. When cooking salmon I always use a water pan as a heat sink and diffuser. Hope this helps. Good luck.

The lid thermometer was a new weber unit and checked with a handheld ir unit. The grate is at the very top so that can't be it.I think the whole unit got too hot initially and even though I waited for it to cool down the damage might have already been done. I'll try again with just a few coals and watch temps. I do have a water pan so I might try that also. thanks

Back