THICK cut chuck roast & butt plan

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Next Sunday is my son's Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet where he officially graduates to Boy Scouts. Our pack does it "pot luck" style with each den providing their own food. I'm expected to make pulled pork, so I picked up a ~7 pound butt, and I know there are a few who don't care for pork, so I also got a ~7 pound chuck roast (in the grocery discount bin for $2.60/lb) that's a good 2.5 to 3" thick.

The banquet is 2:00 on Sunday, so I was going to cook them starting around 10:00 PM Saturday. What I'm not sure of is the arrangement. Should I...

1) Put the pork on top and the chuckie below (both would be on racks in foil pans to prevent cross-drippings)
2) Put the beef on top with the pork below (also, both in pans)
3) Put them both directly on the top grate (no foil pans needed)

I've never cooked a chuck roast over about 1.5" thick, and that one took a good 9 hours to get really tender. So, I'm thinking that this one is probably going to take at least 10, maybe up to 12 hours (about the same as the butt). So, they should be done between 10-noon Sunday, giving them about 1-1.5 hours to rest before shredding. Sound like a good plan?

Oh, and for smoke, I was going to stick with what's become my standard all-purpose mix of cherry (for the color) & apple (for the hint of sweetness).

Good plan Chad, I agree with your thoughts about the cook times. As long as they fit, I would do both roasts on the top shelf.
Congratulations to your son on his achievement!

Back