OH No Mold!!

Just burn it all out with a nice hot fire? Depending on how bad it is you may want to take some simple green to it or soapy water.

If it were my unit, I'd just burn it all out, rinse, and burn again. Luckily, I've not had this issue. ; )

I've had it happen a couple of times and sometimes only after a few weeks. I think your plan is fine. I'd hate to lose my seasoning on the inside, but it is what it is. I generally have just rinsed it out with water and burned it out because its generally that kind of whispy stuff like you have. If you wanna be really safe, the bleach route is probably a good idea.

Thanks All for your fast replies. I started a fire in the WSM with 3 splits, temps were like 400*..Had the stick burner going on such a nice day 65* in NJ. I took a split that was burning in there and added two more in the WSM and temps went sky high. Sure looks like the mold is ALL gone.:)
Not sure as what I want to do next..I won't be cooking in it for awhile
Thanks Again Dan

Hi All Just thinking would have it been better to the store WSM without covering it..Airflow might have prevented the mold?
It does sit where is it covered on 3 sides.
Thanks Dan

High pressure water hose, burn, high pressure water hose. Mold gone, seasoning still there.

If mine isn't going to be cooked in for a while, I open bottom and top vents, and pull the door off it. If I cover it, I make sure the bottom vents aren't covered. I don't recall having any mold.

Back