weird issue

DPackham

TVWBB Member
Check this out. this ia a UDS that been stable and cooking for a long time now and I have never seen this before. im running the new .v13 code BTW.

two things.
#1 i only opened the top just before 14:00 to wrap the butt. what are those other two ?

#2 look at about 17:00 when the light green probe goes nuts. these are two probes in the same butt. no flame up as I could tell and it made the RAMP mode kick in and come down. it did come back down... but still weird

any ideas?

Untitled.png

What make/model of probe are these? Any chance it became loose and was exposed to more flame? What about it possibly touching the bone, which would be hotter than the meat?

There would be no flames in a UDS, unless the lid was off. The probes would be atleast 20 inchest from the charcoal. Could be probe related

They are the Mavrik 72/73 probes. no bone, no flame up and no lid off. it when up WAY fast then came right back down. i didnt touch anything. is there a data log anywhere?

Pork came out perfect but just got a bit worried there for a minute when the RAMP mode kicked in and started lowering the temps when the internal temp had not reached 195 yet :)

Some maverick probes had weird grounding issues that made them flake out like that, but I think it was the 732 if I recall correctly. At any rate, those probes needed to have the metal braid grounded to work right. Since other probe models do have their metal braids grounded, when the 732 cable touched another probes cable the 732 worked fine, but if you completely isolated the 732 cable it would flake out.
Not sure if this is your issue, but your graph looks just like what I went through with these maverick probes so I thought I should mention it. At any rate, easy to test, just ground out the probe cable somehow and see if it remains stable.
I found all the maverick probes were kinda quirky in one way or another TBHWY, but I kept using them because they had the high heat 700F model. Once the thermocouple pit probe was introduced I've moved over to Thermoworks Pro for food probes and I was amazed how much more I liked them. I killed at least a dozen Mavericks one way or another, I think I've only killed one Thermoworks probe ever.

Last edited:

Back