New User with silly questions

AJones

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I just got my heatermeter 4.2 all fired up, thanks to Bryan! Not only did he come up with a great project, but he actually helped me build it in his home! Great guy!

So I've put power to the HM, but haven't gotten my wifi adapter yet, nor do I have my thermocouple.

I did set the configuration for my wireless network and saved to the config file on the SD card.

I fired up the unit and got "No Pit Probe". Then I started playing with the settings. I hit "Reset Config" and now I have the green light and the red light lit up, and am receiving a message that says "Pit: 21*F [100%]

Is this right?

What do the LEDs mean?

What do I need to do, if anything to correct the problem?

It sounds like the Config for your pit probe got changed to something other than Thermocouple, in which case the Pit Probe will give you a false temp reading even without a TC plugged in. The LED(s) function are completely configurable, you can choose from about a dozen or so functions in the HM config for each. If your rPi has a LAN port you can connect to a wired network and access the HM web interface and Config page to check all those settings.

Ok, so the Reset Config setting did more than just change the settings that were visible on the HM display? What's the best course of action to correct this? Wait until I have the wifi adapter? I'm guessing my settings (wifi password, etc.) that I put in the config file are changed also?

It sounds like the Config for your pit probe got changed to something other than Thermocouple, in which case the Pit Probe will give you a false temp reading even without a TC plugged in. The LED(s) function are completely configurable, you can choose from about a dozen or so functions in the HM config for each. If your rPi has a LAN port you can connect to a wired network and access the HM web interface and Config page to check all those settings.

You can link to it with a LAN cable from the Pi into your router. Should then be able to get into the config to adjust your settings.

EDIT: oops. Saw that Ralph already suggested that.

Ok, thanks guys. I connected the HM to my network via Ethernet cable and change the pit probe back to Thermocouple. I'm pretty sure that my wifi settings that I entered into config file are gone, but I'll set them back up when my adapter arrives. Looking forward to my first cook!!!

Back