Remove paint from inside grill

Sounds like a lot of scraping and wire brush work. What about some paint remover?? Maybe try some on a small area. Have you tried a high heat burn to see if it would peel some?? If it wouldn't peel, at least the volatiles in the paint would get cooked off. Good Luck!!

I suppose the way to do that would be to take the cover off and try the paint remover, scraper and wire brush followed by a day or two for the rest of the fumes to dissipate then reassemble, and high heat burn off. Seems reasonable.
Is it failing anywhere? If it's intact, I'd probably do a high heat burn and then, not worry much. But, that's me.

If you definitely want to get it all off (and I would) I would take the lid and firebox out of the frame and have the lid and fire box bead blasted. It will cost a little but it would get it all for sure.

The lid is porcelain inside and out. All of the remedies I am seeing would destroy the porcelain. Honestly the firebox. A powered wire brush or blasting of some type. The lid definitely a chemical of some type process

Contact a custom finish place and talk to them, walnut hull blasting might be just the ticket, anything much more might blast through the enamel as Mr. Michaels suggests.
The high fire enamel finish will take a lot more than you might think but, it's still going to be touchy.
My brother and I successfully built a small boat which bore the caveat "NOT recommended for the home builder!" There were hours of very very careful lofting of the plans and layout but, when we finished, it was a pearl and worth every minute of the effort! Take your time.

Back