Good deal on beef back ribs?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
We made our semi-annual outing to a great big Amish-ish (more Mennonite, I think) market in East Earl, PA on Saturday. Twice a year we go there to stock up on staples like rolled oats, brown sugar, the best dried beef on the planet, etc. Usually, I get a few things for grilling/smoking. This time around, they had a nice selection of CAB Briskets for $2.99/lb, so I grabbed one of those (11.5 lb., for Labor Day). They also had frozen beef back ribs for $1.49/lb. I only cooked beef ribs once before, and I believe they were back ribs, but these seem a bit larger than I remember those being. With limited cooler space (and freezer space at home), I only got one package with what looks like two half-racks (6 or 7 bones each) which worked out to just under $12. Since they were frozen solid already, I stashed them in the freezer for sometime in the Fall. When I bought them before, it was at the neighborhood butcher and I paid $2.49/lb., but their prices are usually a bit higher (better quality meat and helpful service), so I'm not sure I got such a good deal.

The last time I tried to do beef back ribs I was unable to find any, so getting them at any price sounds like a good deal to me. Even with that in mind, any kind of beef at $1.49/lb. sounds pretty good. Costco is charging $3.99/lb. for ground beef. That's usually my benchmark for comparing other beef prices.

Back