Friday evening pepperoni deep dish on the Kettle Pizza

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
Trying out a different Malnati's style dough recipe, this time with 5% semolina. I think I like it with more semolina so I'll try it with 10% next time. I also used a heavy gauge aluminized steel cake pan instead of the cast iron; wanted a deep dish pizza pan but I couldn't find one and they seem the same as the cake pan but black.

If you don't know already, I like to see pictures so that's why I post a lot of pics.

KAAP - 95% - 175g
Semolina - 5% - 10g
Water - 46% - 85g
Corn Oil - 19% - 35g
Olive Oil- 4% - 7g
Salt - less than 1/8 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
IDY - 1/4 tsp

image_223.jpeg

image_224.jpeg

image_225.jpeg

image_226.jpeg

image_227.jpeg

image_228.jpeg

image_229.jpeg

image_230.jpeg

image_231.jpeg

image_232.jpeg

Looking good Nate, you sure are the pizza guy which is :cool:
Have you ever looked at Peter Reinhart's book "American Pie" "My search for the perfect pizza" It's got a ton of great information in it. Also full of great recipes for dough and pies. We've tried a few and were quite pleased with them.

One flavor I love on a pizza is when the pepperoni and cheese get slightly charred and crispy. I enjoy viewing all your pizza cooks, Nate, but this one has me drooling more than usual.

Looking good Nate, you sure are the pizza guy which is :cool:
Have you ever looked at Peter Reinhart's book "American Pie" "My search for the perfect pizza" It's got a ton of great information in it. Also full of great recipes for dough and pies. We've tried a few and were quite pleased with them.

Yup. It's in our pantry.
20140710_053016.jpg

That's a pizza tutorial there. Awesome pizza Nate. I'm still learning on my Performer and have yet to do pizza but it's on the list.

I also used a heavy gauge aluminized steel cake pan instead of the cast iron; wanted a deep dish pizza pan but I couldn't find one and they seem the same as the cake pan but black. QUOTE]

Awesome looking Deep Dish Nate! I've been wanting to try deep dish on my PizzaQue.
What temp did you let the stone get up to? How long did you leave them in!

Awesome looking Deep Dish Nate! I've been wanting to try deep dish on my PizzaQue.
What temp did you let the stone get up to? How long did you leave them in![/QUOTE]

Matt, I don't know what the stone temp was since I wasn't concerned with that. I was looking for an air temp of 450ish degrees F. This one was cooked at 500-525 degrees F and was done in 13 minutes. This was with a small Weber chimney of KBB and one Almond split. You have to sit there and monitor the cook and rotate often to get an even cook. Hope that helps.

Matt, I don't know what the stone temp was since I wasn't concerned with that. I was looking for an air temp of 450ish degrees F. This one was cooked at 500-525 degrees F and was done in 13 minutes. This was with a small Weber chimney of KBB and one Almond split. You have to sit there and monitor the cook and rotate often to get an even cook. Hope that helps.

Thanks Nate, that will help a lot! I usually do deep dish with my CI in the oven. I've been wanting to do them in the Pizzaque, but wasn't sure about the CI. I'll use the cake pan and keep the charcoal to one chimney. I watch my pizza's closely anyway so rotating it often wont be a problem.
Thanks Nate!

Thanks Nate, that will help a lot! I usually do deep dish with my CI in the oven. I've been wanting to do them in the Pizzaque, but wasn't sure about the CI. I'll use the cake pan and keep the charcoal to one chimney. I watch my pizza's closely anyway so rotating it often wont be a problem.
Thanks Nate!

CI works too. Check out my other post from last week.

Saw the post, did using the CI take longer to cook?

I wasn't timing that one but I don't think it was much longer if any. But my air temp was probably another 100 degrees hotter. I didn't want to wait for the fire to cool down, that would have taken to long.

Back