Adding Thermocouple Plug to HeaterMeter v4.2.4 PCB

Dominick A

TVWBB Fan
I recently got all of my parts to build myself a Heatermeter with the RDTC box. I had a case made with a switch on it for the RDTC, but as I started in on my build, I realized I only ordered the standard HM PCB.

My question is, what materials do I need to add the TC plug to the HM and is there a wiring diagram for that?

Thanks,
Dominick

Dave - I do have the RDTC and parts associated with that build. As discussed on our PM, the diagram you sent was for wiring the RDTC to the HM. Thanks for the quick reply!

To be clear on my original ask, I need to know how to turn my standard HM board into a TC HM board. I want to utilize the switch on my case to choose whether or not I am plugging in my TC probe to the RDTC box or the HM directly.

You would need to have a daughter board to solder the needed smd parts and amp for the thermocouple. I can't think of a way to make a non thermocouple Hm to TC Hm using the hm board directly. Your best best would be to either see if anybody has a TC hm board that would like to trade with you, or pay $17 including shipping for a correct board from OSH Park.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but adding TC support to a 4.2.4 board is as simple as soldering the SMD components to the top side of the board and replacing the pit jack for a TC connector.

Those are the components and I think I must have been half asleep with my last post as all the 4.2.4 boards have the smd TC pads on them already. They are universal.

So all you need are the parts from your link and you should be good

I think you have your answers already but I will elaborate.
All HMv4.2.4 boards have the SMD solder pads on them to install the TC amp circuit, so you can if you like order and install the SMD components to change this HM from standard pit probe to thermocouple pit probe.
However, you can also just leave the HM alone with a standard pit probe and build the RDTC board and use it to add TC pit probe support to your board. In this scenario you can still use the switch, but it would be switching between an onboard standard pit probe and the external RDTC TC pit probe. Please note that if you go this route you need to wire both half of the switch, one half to the 100K resistor and the other half to the 10K pullup resistor.

Sweet, thanks!

Since I was going to build the RDTC box, I already have everything except one of the ceramic capacitors, so at least I can get started while I wait for the rest of my materials to arrive. Certainly beats having to waist my HM board!

Back