pcb screening labeled wrong?

Alex Mack

Well, I finally received all my parts and was about to begin the build. I ran into a dilemma with the assembly instructions. I am using the board directly from Bryan that has the PCB with screening. I am following the steps from the website but the screening does not match the component specs. I assume the diagram is correct and the screening is incorrect but I just want to confirm.

For instance, it seems to show the 10k ohm resistors to be placed in pads that on the board itself shows different values. For example, in the middle of the board, it says on the board 4k7 (which I assume meant 4.7k) but in the diagram on the website it has a 10k resistor....similarly, at the bottom middle, the diagram shows again a 10k but the board says 22k. Just looking at the pcb board there are many discrepancies. I am leaning on following the diagram as I assume the board was manipulated and the screening never was corrected. the diagram from the website shows 10k resistors in those white oval highlights that I put on...but on the board itself they are labelled with other resistor values. These are only examples as there are many discrepancies.

This is the picture of the board I have:
IMG_0537_1024x1024.JPG

And this is the diagram from the assembly instruction...
IMG_2184.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not following what you are saying really, but I just picked up my spare HMv4.2.4 board that I keep around for reference and the screen printing seems to show the same components in the same places as on your board (unless I misunderstood what components you are referring to). I bought three of these boards and built up two, I put the value components shown on the board in place and both boards work fine, so the screen printing is accurate. So I think you must be mistaken or reading something wrong?

Don't go by the blue color of the body of the resistors, go by the color bands on them. In the assembly diagram, I didn't have all the right resistors in "carbon film" which are the tan body, so I had to use "metal film" which are the blue body. If you look at the bands on the resistors you indicated, you'll see the 4.7k is Yellow Violet (then a black band which is extra on the metal film resistors) Red and the 22k is Red Red (black) Orange so they're both right!

In any instance follow the board silkscreen because it is definitely right. I build one of these every month or so and just go by the board silkscreen.

I guess you have to use the sheet of paper with the little pictures of the resistors Bryan did send with the PCB. You have to look at the colors of the rings and to decode the value of the resistor, not at the color of the resistor itself.

Thanks for the replies...

I think the biggest problem is I am kind of colorblind (rings are too hard for me to decipher...all the reds/oranges/browns and blacks/blues all look the same...I had to use my multi meter to separate out the resistors) :) ... plus the diagram sometimes uses a 5-band resistors but I was sent in the kit a 4-band resistor.

I am going to follow the board now....

Follow the board labels, and if your resistors aren't in labeled bags then just use a multimeter to measure their resistance instead of struggling with the color code (being color blind and all)

Thanks for the replies...

I think the biggest problem is I am kind of colorblind (rings are too hard for me to decipher...all the reds/oranges/browns and blacks/blues all look the same...I had to use my multi meter to separate out the resistors) :) ... plus the diagram sometimes uses a 5-band resistors but I was sent in the kit a 4-band resistor.

I am going to follow the board now....

I'm also colorblind, and have to rely on my multimeter to figure out the resistors. I can tell, that one resistor has different colors then another one, but l would not be able to tell you the resistance. Label everything and double check everything.

What I do now is put all the resistors in their correct spot on the board and use black electrical tape to hold them in and once I know I have them all in correctly, solder away.

Since, I just moved from Illinois to Washington St. I was able to get my components out of my shipping container, last night. I found that they had moved more then I thought they would and got mixed up a bit, so I will be having fun figuring out which is what for a while to come.

I glad you posted this question! I am building mine as well and had the same fears. I decided to just follow the board and go from there. hopefully I will finish my build tomorrow and be able to test it out this weekend!

Back